Vienna Freestyle Motocross: Preview
FIM FMX News
The two penultimate rounds of the NIGHT of the JUMPs / FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championship 2010 are to be staged this Friday and Saturday at the Stadthalle in Vienna, when 13 freestyle motocross riders attempt to outdo each other in the most extreme display of trick riding that Austria has ever seen.
It’s been more than five years since the Viennese fans last had the chance to watch the ultimate Freestyle World Championship for the world’s best FMX riders.
But now, these top FMX athletes are returning in the NIGHT of the JUMPs, and it really couldn’t be more exciting, because the world championship might be decided during the course of the two Austrian Grand Prix.
After his brace of wins in Ostrava last weekend in front of a home crowd, Freestyle Motocross rider Libor Podmol has the best chance of success in the scramble for the world championship title.
The Czech FMX rider leads the overall ranking with 164 points. His main FMX rival is Frenchman Brice Izzo, who is only six points adrift. Spanish Freestyle Motocross rider Jose Miralles is also perfectly placed; he occupied the top spot before Ostrava and is currently in third position on 154 points.
So things are looking very tense in the Freestyle Motocross title chase. The leading trio can’t afford even the slightest slip-up. The tricks too have to be at the maximum grade of difficulty, otherwise the riders put themselves out of contention.
Remi Bizouard (FRA) and Brody Wilson (USA) are placed fourth and fifth in the world championship standings with 104 points each. As only 60 points will be awarded at the final competition in Fortaleza (Brazil), it is almost impossible for either of them to be serious contenders for a podium spot. Both of them, though, will want to put on their best performance as the season draws to a close.
The same applies to Massimo Bianconcini (ITA), Alastair Sayer (BOT) and Fabian Bauersachs (GER), who all want to be well-placed for next Freestyle Motocross season.
Alastair should again be terrific in the FMX Highest Air contest. The African rider set a new world record last Sunday with an 11-metre jump. Can he improve on that at the Vienna Stadthalle? And will NIGHT of the JUMPs Freestyle Motocross rookie Josh Sheehan (AUS) go through to the final again as he did on his debut at Ostrava?
Hannes Ackermann from Germany, William van den Putte (BEL) and Austrian wild card Freestyle Motocross riders Martin Schenk and Thomas Wirnsberger complete the field. By way of a showstopper, FMX youngster Luc Ackermann will attempt to set a new record as the youngest rider to backflip on Austrian soil.
Ridersfield NIGHT of the JUMPs/FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championship Riders:
Libor Podmol (CZE)
Remi Bizouard (FRA)
Jose Miralles (ESP)
Brice Izzo (FRA)
Massimo Bianconcini (ITA)
Fabian Bauersachs (GER)
Alastair Sayer (BOT)
Brody Wilson (USA)
Josh Sheehan (AUS)
Hannes Ackermann (GER)
William van den Putte (BEL)
Martin Schenk (AUT)
Thomas Wirnsberger (AUT)
+ Luc Ackermann with the youngest backflip attempt in Austria.
FIM Freestyle Motocross World Championships Ranking (after 10th FMX contest)
1. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 164 Points
2. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 158 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 154 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 104 Points
5. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 104 Points
6. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 89 Points
7. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 83 Points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 80 Points
9. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 61 Points
10. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 61 Points
11. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 59 Points
12. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 45 Points
13. Rob Adelberg AUS MA Yamaha 34 Points
14. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 20 Points
15. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 20 Points
16. Marcelo Simoes BRA CBM Yamaha 10 Points
17. Tomas Lysacek CZE ACCR Yamaha 8 Points
18. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 8 Points
19. Aleksey Koleshnikov RUS KTM MFR 4 Points
20. Freddy Peters GER DMSB Yamaha 3 Points
21. Ales Liemann CZE ACCR Suzuki 3 Points