Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Being the originators of the drag race style, head-to-head burnout competition at Sturgis, BAKER was prepared to make this year more monumental than any year before, and they did just that!
Baker, a builder of motorcycle drivetrains, put over 20 builders together for two nights, poising them 6 feet in the air on the amazing Burnout Cage built by the legendary Wink Eller and Jay Allen.
These industry giants went head-to-head, two-by-two until in the end, both nights at the Broken Spoke Saloon, only one man was left standing… and both nights it was the same guy!
The competition changed a little this year: Baker took out the element of BAKER judges and put in a fool proof system. Baker checked for 1st gear, the rider did the burnout, then hit an indicator button to declare they were in fifth gear. Baker then checked for fifth, and if the rider was in that gear, they won!
This made the competition more exciting and fast paced – no longer was it first to 5th, but also fastest on the button!
When all the smoke cleared, the winner both nights was, without a doubt, Kevin Alsop of Big Bear Choppers.
BAKER Drivetrain would like to send out a huge thank you to all who participated and to the generous sponsors: Spectro Oils, Biker’s Choice and Indian Motorcycles of Chicago. Also thanks to the folks who dove in at the last minute to fill spaces left by guys who bailed.
The spontaneity and desire for burnt rubber is only matched by our gratitude! Baker would also like to thank Jay Allen and the Broken Spoke Saloon for hosting our nights of mayhem!
The greatest news is that the BAKER and Broken Spoke burnout cage is going to be travelling to all rallies and will live at the Broken Spoke. BAKER night at the Spoke will never be without some smoke and fury again!
Builders this year: (in no particular order):
· Ken Wolfe: S&S Cycles: Defending Champ from 2009
· Kevin Alsop: Big Bear Choppers: Champion of 2010
· Scott Parker: Scott Parker Racing
· Gina Woods: Open Road Radio
· Rebecca Mitchell
· Huck Hemphill: Radical Baggers
· Satya Kraus: Kraus Motorcycle Company
· Wink Eller: Wink Eller Racing
· Jay Allen: Broken Spoke Saloon
· Kirk Taylor: Custom Design Studios
· Jon “Jooky” Hayslip: Court House Customs
· Steve Jones: Eden Chopper Class
Friday night participants:
(here are a few industry folks who dove in!)
· Kevin Alsop: Big Bear Choppers: Reigning Champion 2010
· Rick: Orange County Choppers
· Nate: Stutsman Harley Davidson
· Dave: Exile Cycles
· Justin: S&S Cycles
· Tim: Brass Balls Bobbers and Choppers
· Kevin “Teach” Baas : Baas Metalcraft