AMA MX: Hangtown 250 Video
Hangtown 250 MX Video
The deeply talented 2010 AMA Motocross 250 Class opener at Hangtown was as competitive as expected.
A heated battle in moto one presented an opportunity for Tomac to sweep the day’s motos, but the rookie fell while leading and finished third.
In moto two, a strong start and early attack on the lead put him up front from which he consistently extended his advantage over the field.
With the inaugural victory, Tomac became the first rider in the history of the sport to win in his professional debut in either the motocross or supercross disciplines.
"I definitely didn’t expect this, it doesn’t seem real," exclaimed Tomac. "I felt like I had the speed to get a top five. In moto one, I just pulled the good old rookie mistake. I got tired and just washed out my front end. In moto two, I just followed Trey (Canard) and tried to keep close to him and then made the pass."
Tying Tomac in overall event points was Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel, of France, who won the day’s opening moto (1-3).
However, by virtue of a tiebreaker, Tomac’s better final moto result relegated Pourcel to second. GEICO Powersports Honda’s Trey Canard, of Shawnee, Okla., rounded out the overall podium in third (7-2).
Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship
42nd Rockstar Energy Hangtown Classic
Round 1 of 12
2010 AMA Motorcross 250 Results (Moto 1 – Moto 2)
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (3-1)
2. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (1-3)
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda (7-2)
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki (4-8)
5. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda (5-7)
6. Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki (10-4)
7. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha (11-5)
8. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (13-6)
9. Tommy Searle, England, KTM (2-31)
10. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (8-16)
2010 AMA Motocross 250 Championship Points | Round 1
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 45
2. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki, 45
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 36
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 31
5. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 30
6. Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki, 29
7. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 26
8. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 23
9. Tommy Searle, England, KTM, 22
10. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki, 18
The Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship continues in two weeks, with round two from Freestone Raceway in Wortham, Texas and the Flagstar Bank Freestone National on Saturday, June, 5.Google+