AMA Supercross: Salt Lake City Results
SX Race Results SLC
The oldest contender in this year’s series, Kevin Windham won his second consecutive race of the 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship at a rain-soaked Rice Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City Saturday evening.
But the race conditions would be challenging. Before 38,882 fans, riders had more to deal with than the technical layout of the Salt Lake City track – by the time the race began, the weather would go from rain to sleet to snow and back to rain again, causing a mix of cold mud on the track. But when it began, GEICO Powersport’s Honda rider Windham took the SPIKE holeshot, just barely beating out Honda Red Bull Racing rider Davi Millsaps.
Windham, of Centerville, Miss., would swap the lead with Millsaps multiple times before taking him and riding a flawless 15 laps to take the win, the race shortened to 15 due to the conditions.
The victory saw Windham lapping the 2010 Supercross Champion and places Windham in second place in the championship, although he can’t chase the title due to Rockstar Makita Suzuki rider Ryan Dungey already sealing up the championship.
Kevin Windham says "I kept my head down and put in 15 great laps. The first few laps of the race, Davi (Millsaps) and I had a good battle going. I was probably the only rider here today that was excited when the rain came because I enjoy these conditions."
Millsaps, of Murrieta, Calif., could not catch Windham, but stayed strong to finish in second. Millsaps teammate, Andrew Short of Smithville, Texas, would finish third. Rounding out the top five would be Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., and L&M San Manuel Yamaha rider Kyle Chisholm of Valrico, Fla., respectively.
Chad Reed did not race this weekend; he and wife just welcomed the arrival of their son Tate into this world. James Stewart also did not race as he continues to recover from his early season injuries.
In the 250cc Class, a fifth-place finish for Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki rider Jake Weimer allowed him to clinch the 2010 AMA Western Regional Championship.
Jake Weimer says: "I don’t even know what to say. A huge thanks to my team – Monster, Kawasaki, Pro Circuit, Mitch … everyone. This championship is for the entire team. I’d like to thank the fans, and my family for coming out … the list of people to thank goes on and on, especially my dad and family and team!"
Like Christophe Pourcel in the East, Jake Wiemer won on the KX250F in the West. The two will meet in Las Vegas for the final 2010 East / West battle.
His teammate, Josh Hansen, took first in Salt Lake City, the first win of this season. Arriving in second was TLD/Lucas Oil/Honda rider Wil Hahn and third went to GEIRCO Powersports Honda rider Trey Canard.
The AMA SX season continues next weekend for the final race at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas.
Supercross Results, Salt Lake City
1. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
2. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
4. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
5. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
6. Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Yamaha
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
9. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Chris Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Honda
Supercross Championship Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 338 (2010 Champion)
2. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 273
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 266
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 253
5. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 229
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 225
7. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 186
8. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 183
9. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki, 174
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 163
Western Lites Results, Salt Lake City
1. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
3. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
4. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
5. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
6. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha
7. Phil Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM
8. Hunter Hewitt, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
9. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha
10. Jeff Alessi, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
Western Lites Standings
1. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 171 (2010 Champion)
2. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 156
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 153
4. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 140
5. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 116
6. Josh Hansen, Elbert Colo., Kawasaki, 100
7. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda, 100
8. Phillip Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM 83
9. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Yamaha, 82
10. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 76