St. Louis SX Results
Ryan Dungey on his Rockstar Makita Suzuki RM-Z450 won his fifth AMA Supercross class main event of the 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, season at the Edward Jones Dome in front of 59,882 fans.
Geico Powersport Honda’s Justin Barcia on his CRF250R won the final race of the Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class championship.
Kawasaki’s Nick Wey, riding for the TiLube Babbits Team, won the Spike Holeshot Award to start the AMA Supercross class main event.
Dungey and Red Bull Honda Racing’s Davi Millsaps on his CRF450R made their way through turn one in second and third respectively.
Dungey moved into the lead on the first lap to secure the lead as Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto on his KX450F secured second place on lap two and started to chase down Dungey.
On lap nine, while trying to pass Dungey, Villopoto caused the two of them to crash. When they remounted Villopoto moved into the lead and Dungey re-started in third.
After recapturing second place, Dungey set chase on Villopoto, but on lap 11 Villopoto suffered a horrific crash and was unable to return to the race.
Dungey held on for the win while Geico Powersports Honda’s Kevin Windham finished second and Red Bull Honda Racing’s Andrew Short finished third, both on CRF450Rs. Chad Reed, an expecting father, finished 5th the Supercross main event in 5th place on his Kawasaki KX450F.
Ryan Dungey says: "It got really hectic out there tonight," said Dungey. "I had a great start so that was a huge help. We worked really hard this week to come out here in St. Louis prepared. It’s unfortunate that Ryan (Villopoto) crashed. I hope he is ok."
Barcia rocketed his way to the Spike Holeshot Award with Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson on his KX250F and Geico Powersports Honda’s Brett Metcalfe on his CRF250R following in second and third respectively. Wilson passed Metcalfe early to assume second place. On lap three Wilson crashed but lost very little ground.
After working his way back from the crash on lap three, Wilson charged past Metcalfe on lap nine.
The win for Barcia marked the second of his career and moved him into second place in the Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class championship. Wilson held on for second place, which is the best finish of his career.
Justin Barcia says: "I pulled it together tonight," said Barcia. "I learned that the holeshot makes the race go a lot easier. Everyone on the team did a great job with my bike, and I am pumped to pick up this win."
The AMA Supercross class will air on CBS Sports on Sunday, April 18 at 2:00 p.m. EST. The Eastern regional AMA Supercross Lites class will air on SPEED on Sunday, April 18 at 6:00 p.m. EST.
2010 AMA Supercross Race Results: St. Louis
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
2. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
4. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Kawasaki
AMA Supercross Championship Point Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 302
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 266
3. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 225
4. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 223
5. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 215
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Race Results: St. Louis
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
2. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
3. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
4. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Point Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 160
2. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 147
3. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 133
4. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 126
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 118