Demand for Harley-Davidson XR1200 Sparks American Debut
Riders Order Hundreds of New Harley-Davidson Sportsters Motorcycle Before Official Release.
Inspired by the XR-750, the most dominating American dirt track racing motorcycle of all-time, the Harley-Davidson XR1200 is now poised to boost adrenalin levels on streets, roads and highways around the world.
The XR1200 is a powerful new Harley-Davidson hot rod motorcycle that was initially designed and launched only in European markets in April 2008. With the high degree of interest and passionate reception surrounding the bike’s European release, as well as demand from Harley riders and competitive brand owners alike, the XR1200 is now being launched in all markets.
Drawing significant styling influences from the successful Harley-Davidson XR-750 motorcycles that set new standards for dirt track racing success over the last 30 years, the XR1200 features technical innovation to provide potent street performance and handling. In fact, Harley-Davidson dirt track racing legends Scott Parker and Rich King participated in the XR1200 development.
"The XR1200 is an exciting motorcycle with an aggressive attitude," said Bill Davidson, Harley-Davidson Vice President, Core Customer Marketing. "This bike will provide the performance and distinct style demanded by uncompromising riders. In fact, hundreds of XR1200s were ordered by enthusiastic customers before we really even promoted it."
The successful dirt track legacy continues today as Harley factory rider Kenny Coolbeth won his third straight AMA Grand National Twins flat track championship on the XR-750 in 2008. While distinctive racing paint and graphics on the XR1200 will catch the eye, Harley-Davidson racing tradition and influence are clearly evident in the bike’s key features, design and style.
The 1200 cc Evolution V-Twin engine with its high 10.0:1 compression ratio, performance cams, downdraft fuel injection, precision-cooled cylinder heads and large capacity oil cooler cranks out high torque. Rubber mounted to a new frame with a cast aluminum swingarm, the engine delivers exhilarating performance and responsive handling with less vibration. A unique upswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight shot exhaust system includes dual mufflers and is finished in satin chrome.
A sport-tuned Showa® suspension with inverted 43 mm front forks and twin preload adjustable shocks combines with lightweight black cast three-spoke wheels to make the XR1200 ride and corner with feeling. Specially designed Dunlop(R) Qualifier D209 tires connect the rider to the road, while Nissin(R) four-piston large disc front brakes provide stopping power.
Additional racing influences on the XR1200 include details like dirt track style bodywork, wide black low-rise handlebar, a 29.2-inch seat height and aggressive riding position. Rearset foot pegs provide additional cornering clearance with a 39-degree lean angle. The compact instrument cluster combines a digital speedometer, white-faced tachometer, dual trip meter and clock.
The XR1200 is available in Vivid Black, Mirage Orange Pearl and Pewter Denim colors. The Harley-Davidson hands free Smart Security System is optional in North America. U.S MSRP is $10,799.
XR 1200 features and highlights:
* Isolation-mounted XL Evolution 1200 cc V-Twin engine with silver powdercoat finish
* Downdraft Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
* Electronically controlled active intake system
* Precision oil-cooled cylinder heads
* 74 ft. lbs. peak torque @ 4000 rpm (per SAE J1349)
* High performance designed tubular mild steel frame and cast aluminum swingarm
* Black three-spoke lightweight cast aluminum wheels, 18-inch front / 17-inch rear
* Specifically developed Dunlop Qualifier D209 tires
* Wide black dirt track handlebar
* Styling and graphics inspired by the legendary Harley-Davidson XR-750 dirt track racer
* Upswept, high-volume brushed stainless steel 2-1-2 straight shot exhaust system with satin chrome finish
* Nissin dual front brakes with four-piston calipers and 292 mm patented uniform expansion rotors
* Sport-tuned Showa suspension with 43 mm inverted front forks and pre-load adjustable twin rear shock absorbers
* Rearset foot pegs for additional cornering clearance
* 29.2-inch seat height with standard passenger pillion and foot pegs
* Optional Harley-Davidson Smart Security System
* Aircraft style aluminum alloy fuel filler
* Unique compact instruments with white-faced tachometer, digital speedometer, dual trip meter and clock
* 3.5-gallon fuel tank
Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the only major U.S.-based motorcycle manufacturer, produces heavyweight motorcycles and a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.