Exclusive BMW HP4 RACE Specs, Price and Photos RevealedDuring EICMA (Milan Motorcycle Show) this past November, BMW unveiled the HP4 RACE.But no specs or any other information was released; all BMW Motorrad President Stephan Schaller said was that the HP4 RACE would feature the “full carbon-fiber frame and carbon-fiber rims as shown here.”
Schaller promised that the remaining details would be released in spring. That time has arrived; on Wednesday, the Bavarian motorcycle manufacturer unveiled all the details of the super exclusive BMW HP4 RACE.Look out Ducati 1299 Superleggera–another limited-edition lightweight and high-horsepower superbike has arrived on the market.Meet the BMW HP4 RACE, which is set for a production run of only 750 models. Based on the S 1000 RR, the HP4 RACE produces 215 horsepower and weighs just 377 lbs. wet. This is lighter than the factory World Superbike S 1000 RR, and just a bit heavier than “MotoGP factory racers,” BMW reports.To put this data into perspective with its rival, the Ducati 1299 Superleggera is limited to a production run of 500, produces 215 horsepower, and weighs 368 lbs. wet.
BMW HP4 Race: The Uber-Exclusive DetailsThe BMW HP4 RACE is highlighted by three chassis elements constructed entirely of carbon fiber: monocoque main frame, self-supporting rear subframe, and wheels.Speaking of the frame and wheel designs, BMW says: “With the HP4 RACE, BMW Motorrad is the first motorcycle manufacturer in the world to present a main frame made entirely of carbon fiber and weighing just 17.1 lbs. (7.8 kilograms) that is produced industrially in small series, thereby making this future-oriented technology available for anyone to purchase. The front and rear wheel are also made of this high-tech material, enabling a weight reduction of approximately 30% as compared to light alloy forged wheels while retaining a deliberately rigid design.”The other parts that attribute to the BMW HP4 RACE’s light weight include the hand-brushed aluminum fuel tank and carbon-fiber trim.
BMW HP4 RACE Highlights:
- Carbon fiber main frame in monocoque construction weighing just 17.1 lbs (7.8 kilograms).
- Self-supporting carbon-fiber rear frame with three-stage height adjustment function.
- Carbon-fiberwheels offering a weight reduction of some 30 per cent as compared to light alloy forged wheels.
- Öhlins FGR 300 upside-down fork.
- Öhlins TTX 36 GP spring strut.
- Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers with 320 T-type racing steel brake disks (thickness: 6.75 mm) at the front.
- Racing engine at World Cup level with an output of 158 kW (215 hp) at 13,900 rpm and a maximum torque of 88.5 ft/lbs at 10,000 rpm.
- Close-ratio racing gearbox with adapted transmission ratios.
- Weight-Optimized electrical system featuring light lithium-ion battery with 5 Ah.
- 2D dashboard and 2D data recording including logger.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Engine Brake EBR (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Wheelie Control (programmable for selected gears).
- Launch Control.
- Pit Lane Limiter.
- Light trim parts made of carbon fibre with snap fasteners.
- Paint finish in BMW HP Motorsport colors.
- Production run of 750 units, each individually crafted.