2017 BMW K 1600 B First Look |
The Bavarian Bagger
Taking direct aim at the Honda Gold Wing F6B, BMW takes its six-cylinder sport-touring motorcycle platform and turns it into a new bagger—the 2017 BMW K 1600 B. Here are the essential facts about the new Bavarian Bagger.
1. You still get the full power inline-6. The BMW K 1600 B puts out 160 horsepower at 7750 rpm and a bruising 129 ft/lbs of torque at 5250 rpm. It should be a ripper.
2. There are three riding modes. Incorporating both power and traction control, you have a choice of Dynamic, Road, and Rain.
3. Dynamic electronic suspension is standard. You pick either Road or Cruise mode and the BMW’s suspension constantly adjusts to give you the ride you’ve requested, regardless of the road conditions.
4. The K 1600 B’s frame is lowered per bagger tradition. The back end has been slammed compared to the GT, with the rear seat height being 2.75 inches lower.
5. The windshield is shorter than the sport touring Ks. For convenience the windshield height is electronically adjustable. Deflectors on the fairing add wind protection.
6. BMW says the K 1600 B has “US-American styling.” While it’s more Honda than Harley-Davidson, Indian, or Victory, there is definitely an American flair to the look.
7. High-end options are available. If you’d like, the 2017 BMW K 1600 B can be outfitted with BMW’s clutchless Shift Assistant Pro (works for up- and down-shifts), reverse, and Intelligent Emergency Call (automatically alerts the BMW Call Center in the case of an accident, and can be manually triggered). Of course, there are many more options available.
8. There’s also plenty of premium standard equipment. Every BMW K 1600 B has ABS, heated seats and grip, cruise control, xenon headlights, and the bar-mounted Multi-Controller to operate the onboard computer.
9. Three packages are available to simplify upgrades. The Safety Package has Hill Start Control, tire pressure monitoring, adaptive turning lights, and daytime running lights. If you get the Touring Package, your B will have reverse, and an audio system ready for a navigation upgrade. Pick the Comfort package and you get the clutchless shifter, linking luggage locking, an alarm system, an extra LED headlight, and Keyless Ride.
Touring bikes are coming hot and heavy in 2017—it’s time for a big trip!
2017 BMW K 1600 B Gallery