2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T First Look |
Premium ADV Touring
2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T – US Version
You might have thought KTM had the big-inch adventure/sport/touring segment covered with the 1290 Super Duke GT and the 1290 Super Adventure R. Well, KTM didn’t think so, and now we have the 2017 KTM Super Adventure T to consider for the ultimate in touring pleasure.
1. The 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T is now considered KTM’s premium touring bike. KTM calls it the “top of the food chain” and “a first-class power explorer.” It won’t be quite as fast as the 1290 Super Duke GT, or as off-roadable as the 1290 Super Adventure R, but it has the features that touring riders want.
2. Touring features on the 1290 Super Adventure T include standard heated seats and grips, as well as cruise control. For those who don’t like starting on steep uphills, the Hill Hold Control keeps the Super Adventure T from rolling backwards as you let out the clutch. The 1290 SAT also gets a larger windshield than the 1290 SAR, and KTM says adjusting it is easy (though not electronic). Bags are standard in the US, and the mounting system is integrated into the bike.
3. The 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T’s wheels are downsized from the 1290 SAR. Instead of the class 21-/18-inch wheel combo found on true ADV bikes, the Super Adventure T has the more road-friendly 19-/17-inch pairing. They are shod with Continental ContiTrailAttack 2 tires, however, so off-pavement excursions are doable.
4. The electronics package is purpose-selectable. There are four modes of traction control, including Offroad. Combined ABS is standard—those are two 320mm discs up front—with an Offroad ABS mode that only functions on the front wheel, allowing the rider to slide the rear wheel. One feature that isn’t adjustable is Motor Clip Regulation, which is designed to keep the Super Adventure T stable when accelerating hard on slick surfaces.
5. The 1290 LC8 V-twin motor is the one we know and love. Putting out 160 horsepower, the SAT will never be considered a slouch, especially when it weighs just over 500 pounds with its eight-gallon fuel tank empty. It also has a slipper clutch and six-speed transmission.
6. The chassis is spread out for touring. With a rake of 26 degrees and a wheelbase over 62 inches, the Super Adventure T should have no lack of high speed stability.
7. The suspension has long legs and is high-tech. The WP suspension, including 48mm forks, is semi-active and fully adjustable at the left handlebar. Wheel travel is just a hair under eight inches at both ends, and ground clearance is over eight inches.
8. The 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T is tall, but not too tall. The seat height is adjustable, with your choice of 33.9 or 34.4 inches.
We cannot wait to take the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure T on a long-haul ride!