2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R First Look | Off-Road ADV Bike
For 2017, KTM backs down the displacement of its most off-road focused V-twin adventure bike. Plus, it gets the expected suite of ADV-suitable electronics to make it more capable on- and off-road.
1. The wheels are very off-road focused. Not only does it have wire-spoked wheels with the off-road 21-/18-inch hoop combination, but it is now shod with Continental’s excellent TKC 80 Twinduro knobby tires. You will be able to do more serious off-roading than simply well-graded dirt roads on the 2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R.
2. KTM updated the suspension for the 1090 Adventure R. The new 48mm WP forks now have separate compression and rebound damping system, with a focus on off-road performance. There’s also a fully adjustable WP PDS shock. Travel is nearly nine inches at each end, and ground clearance is nearly ten inches.
3. The KTM 1090 Adventure R’s traction control and ABS work on both street and dirt. The traction control has four levels of intrusion—Sport, Street, Rain, and Offroad—while the ABS has an Offroad setting that defeats ABS to the rear wheel while retaining it for the front twin 320mm rotors. Various power modes are also available as part of the Motorcycle Stability Control package.
4. Weight is low and stability is high. KTM gives the 1090 Adventure R a generous 62.2-inch wheelbase, along with a fork angle of 26 degrees. With the six-gallon fuel tank on empty, KTM claims the 1090 Adventure R will tip the scales at 472 pounds, so that will aid in agility. Seat height is 35 inches.
5. The short stroke V-twin LC8 motor has manageable power. With a bore of 103mm and stroke sitting at 63mm, the 1050cc powerplant puts out a peak of 125 horsepower.
6. Ergonomic customization is easy. The 2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R has adjustable footpegs and handlebars, and the windshield can also be adjusted to taste.
7. Touring is easy on the 1090 Adventure R. Mounts for the panniers are built-in, so ADV riders who want to travel long distances can be quickly satisfied with a trip to the KTM PowerParts catalog.
The KTM 1090 Adventure R is a bike we have big off-road plans for in 2017.