Ducati Debuts at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Ducati celebrates its 90th anniversary this year, and Sturgis Motorcycle Rally its 76th edition of the do-all American cruiser event. But the two have never united.
This changes at the upcoming Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, which runs August 5-13; for the first time, the Italian motorcycle manufacturer will make its presence known amid the hardcore American V-Twin cruiser crowd at Sturgis.
The reason Ducati had never hosted any events at Sturgis in the past was obvious – the Borgo Panigale-based brand was sport-forward. Ducati first attempted breaking into the American cruiser market with its Indiana (1986-1990), but this motorcycle was doomed for failure.
Ducati’s second attempt in 2011 – the Diavel – was successful, bringing the brand into the world of 21st Century cruisers. But the Diavel was still sport-forward cruising.
For 2016, though, much changed with the release of the XDiavel. This model retains the Italian performance heritage, but now arrives with forward controls, a low seat, belt final drive, and laid-back, dark styling to truly make itself noticeable in a cruiser market.
And now, the XDiavel is the core product that brings Ducati into a bold world once only controlled by American muscle; let the L-Twin / V-Twin commingling commence!
Ducati has many events planned for the Sturgis rally, highlighted by its XDiavel Xperience Tour and the unveiling of an XDiavel by Roland Sands Design (RSD).
“Sturgis is always a great place to get together with motorcyclists to celebrate our shared passion for two-wheels,” said Jason Chinnock, chief executive officer of Ducati North America.
“Two-thousand sixteen marks both the 90th Anniversary and the launch of Ducati’s entry into the cruiser with the new XDiavel. This year is the perfect time to share the Ducati brand at the largest gathering of motorcyclists in the USA.
“To commemorate this event we have integrated into a number of activities and partnered with Roland Sands Design to build a custom version of the XDiavel. This build opens the door to a new world for customization of the XDiavel. Roland Sands Design is an important partner for us, and they bring their innovative design style to everything they do and we’re honored to unveil it at Sturgis.”
Stay clicked to Ultimate MotorCycling for a recap of Ducati’s XDiavel Xperience Tour at Sturgis.
Following is Ducati’s schedule of events at 2016 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally:
Friday, August 5:
XDiavel Xperience Tour
- 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Holiday Inn Express Sturgis, 2721 Lazelle Street, Sturgis
- In addition to the demo rides* that will run through August 13, Ducati will be presenting its entire XDiavel product line, along with an XDiavel Lounge and XDiavel Café built on-site for guests to enjoy while experiencing the festivities.
Monday, August 8:
XDiavel Joins Sturgis Mayor’s Ride
- Starts at 8 a.m
- City of Rider’s Motorcycle Expo, Lazelle & 4th streets, Sturgis
- XDiavels will join the Sturgis annual Mayor’s Ride with Sturgis’ Mayor Mark Carstensen as they ride through several of the Black Hill’s most spectacular two lane roads and byways, to support the Sturgis Volunteer Fire Department, Ambulance Service & Police Reserves.
Tuesday, August 9:
RSD XDiavel Unveiling
- 1 p.m.
- Pappy Hoel Campground, 19305–19347, SD-79, Vale, S.D.
- Ducati and Roland Sands unveils the XDiavel designed by RSD during a pool party at the Pappy Hoel Campground. Blue skies, cool water, live music, raffles and a bikini contest will highlight the event, which is co-sponsored by Ducati partners Bell helmets and Roland Sands Design.
Wednesday, August 10:
3rd Annual Boz Bros Ride
- Registration Starts at 7:30 a.m.
- Sturgis Guns, 2324 Junction Avenue, Sturgis
- AMA national Champions and World SBK competitors Ben and Eric Bostrom will treat the group to refreshments before the ride begins at “Sturgis Guns” located at 2324 Junction Ave, Sturgis SD 57785. Registration starts at 7:30 a.m. and departs on a 60-mile ride through the Black Hills. Lunch, beverages, and swag will be provided after the ride with all the “free will” proceeds going to the Sturgis Police Department.
Sturgis Super Hooligan Race presented by RSD
- 4-7 p.m.
- Sturgis Buffalo Chip, 20622 Fort Way, 20622 Fort Meade Way, Sturgis
- Ducati’s exclusive dealer in Nebraska, Ducati Omaha, will campaign the flat track inspired Scrambler Flat Track Pro in stock trim with the exception of the removal of the front brake and headlight and the addition of a Termignoni slip-on exhaust.
*Those interested in test rides can participate with a valid motorcycle license and proof of insurance. All riders must provide their own riding gear, including DOT-approved helmet, long-sleeved shirt or jacket, gloves, long pants, and over-the-ankle boots. Bell Helmets has kindly agreed to provide a selection of their helmets for demo riders to borrow should they need.