2016 Yamaha FJR 1300 Motorcycles Updated
Yamaha has updated its supersport touring machine – the FJR1300 – for 2016. The FJR, which arrives with shaft drive and a 6.6-gallon fuel tank, is once again available as the base model FJR1300A and a version with electronic suspension, the FJR1300ES.
Both Yamaha FJR sport touring motorcycles return with the liquid-cooled, 16-valve, 1298cc inline-four cylinder that is mated to an aluminum Deltabox frame. New for 2016 on both the FJR1300A and FJR1300ES are a six-speed transmission, an Assist & Slipper (A&S) Clutch, updated instrumentation, and completely redesigned “twin-eye” headlight and combination taillight/turn signal assemblies that now feature all-LED lighting.
The Yamaha FJR1300 ES, which uses suspension that has four pre-load settings, three damping adjustments and seven damping fine-tuning adjustments all at the push of a button, also arrives with new LED cornering lights. The LED cornering lights utilize successive automatic illumination as the cornering lean deepens. This provides a wider area of forward illumination in the direction of the turn.
Speaking of the LED cornering lights, Yamaha says “The system functions via high-speed computation of the banking angle detected by the Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), and the resulting signal is transmitted to the Cornering Light Control Unit. Regardless of whether the headlight is in low- or high-beam, a slight banking angle will activate the innermost of the three cornering lights on the turning side and, as the banking angle deepens, the middle and outside lights come on in succession.”
Other stock standard features on both Yamaha FJR1300 supersport tourers are Traction Control System (TCS), D-MODE for selecting specific engine characteristics, cruise control, an electronically adjustable windscreen, adjustable riding position (handlebars: 3-level adjustment; main seat: 2-level adjustment), Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Unified Braking System (UBS), heated grips, and 12V accessory socket. Shaft drive and a 6.6 gallon fuel tank are also standard features on both models.
The 2016 FJR1300A and 2016 FJR1300ES will be available in Cobalt Blue, and are due to arrive in dealerships in March 2016. The MSRP for both models will be announced in February.
2016 Yamaha FJR1300 Specs:
- Engine Type: 1298cc liquid-cooled DOHC inline 4-cylinder; 16 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 79.0mm x 66.2mm
- Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
- Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate assist-and-slipper wet clutch
- Final Drive: Shaft
- FJR1300ES Suspension / Front: 43mm inverted forks with electronically adjustable rebound and compression damping; 5.3-in travel
- FJR1300ES Suspension / Rear: Single shock with electronically adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping; 4.9-in travel
- FJR1300A Suspension / Front: 48mm fork, fully adjustable; 5.3-in travel
- FJR1300A Suspension / Rear: Single shock, adjustable spring preload and rebound damping; 4.9-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual 320mm discs; Unified Brake System and ABS
- Brakes / Rear: 282mm disc; Unified Brake System and ABS
- Tires / Front: 120/70ZR17
- Tires / Rear: 180/55ZR17
- L x W x H: 87.8 in x 29.5 in x 52.2 – 57.3 in
- Seat Height: 31.7 or 32.5 in
- Wheelbase: 60.8 in
- Rake (Caster Angle): 4.9 in
- Trail: 26.0°
- Ground Clearance: 4.3 in
- Fuel Capacity: 6.6 gal
- Fuel Economy: 36 mpg
- Wet Weight: FJR1300ES, 642 lbs (CA model 644 lbs); FJR1300A, 635 lbs (CA model 637 lbs)
2016 Yamaha FJR1300 Video
2016 Yamaha FJR1300 Photo Gallery