Spoiler Alert: 2015 Monster Energy Supercross 450SX results fro Georgia Dome in Atlanta listed below.
The ninth round of the Monster Energy Supercross series visited Atlanta for the second and final time this season for a night of racing in the Georgia Dome. The track featured a diverse layout including red clay, sand sections, and an over-and-under bridge.
Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey found himself in third place on the first lap and made his way into the lead on lap six. He rode a solid and steady race for the remaining 14 laps to take his third victory of the season. With his win, he also extended his points lead to 30 over second place in the championship.
Joining Dungey on the Atlanta II Supercross podium was GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac and Team Honda’s Trey Canard
“I just tried to keep pushing” said Dungey after the race. “The holeshot wasn’t there tonight, but we snuck around next to Chad (Reed). I wanted to stay consistent and keep my lap times down. The track was tough. It was really slippery, tight, and technical. Setting yourself up was important. It felt great to get this third win, but we’ve still got a long ways to go and we will keep after it.”
Tomac came around the first turn in fourth place and passed TwoTwo Motorsport’s Chad Reed on lap two after the Australian rider lost control of his Kawasaki KX450F and went off the track briefly.
From there, Tomac was passed by his Honda stablemate, Trey Canard, on lap six. He was able to get by AutoTrader/Toyota/Yamaha’s Weston Peick in the meantime. He then passed Canard in the latter portion of the race to take second place on the night.
“I was there on the start,” said Tomac. “Just to be here on the podium is huge for me. Second place is great, and I will go after the number-one position.”
Canard began the race in sixth place, passed Reed on lap two, and made his way around RCH/Soaring Eagle/Jimmy Johns/Suzuki Factory Racing’s Broc Tickle to take fifth place. After passing Peick, he battled with his Honda teammate, Eli Tomac, for second, but was unable to hold him off. Canard maintains second place in the championship standings with his second third place finish in a row.
RCH/Soaring Eagle/Jimmy Johns/Suzuki Factory Racing’s Broc Tickle grabbed a fifth place start and was passed by Canard on lap two, but passed Reed on the same lap to maintain fifth place. He managed to get around Peick by lap ten to take fourth place on the night.
Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing’s Blake Baggett rebounded from a tenth place start by passing Reed, CycleTrader/Rock River/Yamaha’s Josh Hill, RCH/Soaring Eagle/Jimmy Johns/Suzuki Factory Racing’s Ken Roczen, Peick, and Rockstar Energy Husqvarna’s Jason Anderson by lap ten to take his second top five finish of the season.
TwoTwo Motorsport’s Josh Grant, Chad Reed, Ken Roczen, Jason Anderson, and Weston Peick rounded out the top ten respectively.
Photography by Simon Cudby
2015 Atlanta II Supercross Results, 450SX – Round 9:
1.Ryan Dungey – KTM 450 SX-Factory Edition
2. Eli Tomac – Honda CRF450R
3. Trey Canard – Honda CRF450R
4. Broc Tickle – Suzuki RM-Z-450
5. Blake Baggett – Suzuki RM-Z450
6. Josh Grant – Kawasaki KX450F
7. Chad Reed – Kawasaki KX450F
8. Ken Roczen – Suzuki RM-Z450
9. Jason Anderson – Husqvarna FC450
10. Weston Peick – Yamaha YZ450F
11. Davi Millsaps – Kawasaki KX450F
12. Cole Seely – Honda CRF450R
13. Josh Hill – Yamaha YZ450F
14. Mike Alessi – Suzuki RM-Z450
15. Andrew Short – KTM 450SX-F Factory Edition
16. Nick Wey – Kawasaki KX450F
17. Phil Nicoletti – Yamaha YZ450F
18. Kyle Chisholm – Kawasaki KX450F
19. Jimmy Albertson – Yamaha YZ450F
20. Jake Weimer – Kawasaki KX450F
21. Nick Schmidt – Suzuki RM-Z450
22. Kyle Partridge – Honda CRF450R
2015 450SX Class Season Standings (after nine of 17 rounds):
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 199
2. Trey Canard, Edmond, Okla., Honda, 169
3. Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Suzuki, 156
4. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 137
5. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Husqvarna, 126
6. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki, 124
7. Cole Seely, Laguna Beach, Calif., Honda, 120
8. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 115
9. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 100
10. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 96