The 250 East Region Monster Energy Supercross series visited Atlanta for the second and final time of 2015 for a night of racing in the Georgia Dome. The track for the third round of 250SX East challenged riders with diversity due to a variety of sand and red clay sections, and an over-and-under bridge.
Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin grabbed the holeshot in the main event and was unchallenged from there on out. The French rider utilized his smooth, calculated style to lead all 15 laps to take his second victory of the season.
Joining Musquin on the 2015 Alanta 2 250SX podium were Yamalube/Star Racing Yamaha’s Jeremy Martin and GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle, respectively.
“I was so mad at myself because I messed up my start in my heat race” said Musquin. “I was actually running in third and tried to get a good place to get to the main event. I finished fourth and had a far inside gate pick for the main, but I knew I could get the holeshot. It wasn’t my best start in the main, but I pushed really hard through the first turn. The track was tough and the whoops were really sketchy. This is the best year of my career and I am having so much fun.”
Martin came into the second corner in the sand section in fifth place, but quickly made his way into second place by the end of lap one where he remained for the rest of the race.
“I was probably about fourth or fifth on the first lap and made some aggressive passes and unfortunately got caught up with Justin Bogle” said Martin after the race. “I was able to get into second and my arms were rock solid after lap five. But no excuses, Marvin was the better man tonight and we will come back, regroup, and get ready for Daytona.”
Bogle came into the sand section on the first lap in second position, but was quickly passed by Martin just a couple of corners later. He stayed consistent for the remainder of the race to maintain third place and take the final podium spot for the night. “I am having fun and getting better every weekend” said Bogle.
“The results just aren’t showing it necessarily, but that’s part of it. This game isn’t easy. I am trying to get my GEICO Honda up on the top spot. I felt capable of winning tonight and we are making progress. I am going to get there.”
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Joey Savatgy was able to make his way into third place on the first lap briefly. However, he fell back to fifth place by lap ten behind his teammate, Arnaud Tonus. He was able to get around Tonus in the remaining laps to finish fourth place on the night.
Riverside Harley Davidson/Trail Jesters/South of the Border/Ryno Power/Dedicated/Honda’s Jimmy Decotis had a strong showing in the second Atlanta race.
The New England rider began the race in sixth place on the first lap. From there, he was able to make his way into 5th place shortly before getting passed by Joey Savatgy on lap nine. He conducted an aggressive last lap pass on Tonus to take his first-ever top five finish in Monster Energy Supercross.
Rockstar Energy Husqvarna’s Martin Davalos, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Arnaud Tonus, Yamalube/Star Racing Yamaha’s Anthony Rodriguez, GEICO Honda’s RJ Hampshire, and CycleTrader/Rock River/Yamaha’s Luke Renzland rounded out the top ten, respectively.
Photography by Simon Cudby
2015 Atlanta II 250SX Results from Georgia Dome, Round 3:
1. Marvin Musquin – KTM 250SX-F Factory Edition
2. Jeremy Martin – Yamaha YZ250F
3. Justin Bogle – Honda CRF250R
4. Joey Savatgy – Kawasaki KX250F
5. Jimmy Decotis – Honda CRF250R
6. Martin Davalos – Husqvarna FC250
7. Arnaud Tonus – Kawasaki KX250F
8. Anthony Rodriguez – Yamaha YZ250F
9. RJ Hampshire – Honda CRF250R
10. Luke Renzland – Yamaha YZ250F
11. Kyle Peters – Honda CRF250R
12. Matt Lemoine – Kawasaki KX250F
13. Vince Friese – Honda CRF250R
14. Gannon Audette – Kawasaki KX250F
15. Kyle Cunningham – Honda CRF250R
16. Justin Starling – Yamaha YZ250F
17. Colt Nichols – Honda CRF250R
18. Joshua Cartwright – Yamaha YZ250F
19. Jace Owen – Honda CRF250R
20. Daniel Herrlein – Honda CRF250R
21. Bryce Stewart – Yamaha YZ250F
22. Dakota Alix – KTM 250SX-F
2015 Eastern Regional 250SX Class Season Standings:
1. Marvin Musquin, Corona, Calif., KTM, 72
2. Jeremy Martin, Millville., Minn., Yamaha, 65
3. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda, 62
4. Joey Savatgy Thomasville, Ga., Kawasaki, 54
5. Martin Davalos, Corona, Calif., Husqvarna, 45
6. Matt Lemoine, Pilot Point, Texas, Kawasaki, 39
7. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 38
8. Arnaud Tonus, Aire-la-Ville, Switzerland, Kawasaki, 38
9. RJ Hampshire, Hudson, Fla., Honda, Honda, 38
10. Anthony Rodriguez, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha, 34