The American Motorcyclist Association is announcing the 2015 AMA Vintage Grand Tour, which will reward participating road riders for attending AMA-sanctioned vintage competition events.“No two motorcyclists are alike, except for the fact that we respect each others’ rides,” said AMA Road Riding Manager Chris Harrison. “The AMA Vintage Grand Tour is our way to encourage road riders to rack up more miles, as well as step back in time by checking out one of motorcycling’s coolest disciplines — vintage racing.”Competition events on the AMA Vintage Grand Tour calendar include motocross, hare scrambles, dirt track and road racing in 12 states. Additional events may be added.
“AMA-sanctioned vintage racing is expanding into new geographical areas, such as Arizona Cycle Park, outside of Phoenix, Ariz., and the famous Monster Mountain facility, in Tallassee, Ala.,” said AMA Assistant Motocross Manager Alex Hunter. “AMA promoters are increasingly embracing vintage racing, where racers young and old compete on bikes from decades past to relive old memories and make new ones. The competition may be more laid back, but it’s no less exciting, particularly when the atmosphere echoes the 1990s, ’80s, ’70s and beyond.”Hunter, who coordinates sanctioned vintage racing for the AMA, added that the $10 fee for a new-for-2015 optional Friday practice at the AMA Vintage Grand Championship will be waived for racers who compete in at least one AMA Vintage Grand Tour event prior to the July 10-12 event.Road riders who wish to participate in the AMA Vintage Grand Tour need to register at www.americanmotorcyclist.com/AMAVintageGrandTour
. Once registered, riders will receive an email confirmation from the AMA Road Riding Department.Registered riders will earn points by submitting photos of themselves and their motorcycles on location at each event on the AMA Vintage Grand Tour calendar. Photos not submitted within seven days of the AMA Vintage Grand Tour event will be accepted only at the discretion of the AMA Road Riding Department.At the end of the year, registered road riders will win prizes in a number of categories. Prize details and complete rules are available at the AMA Vintage Grand Tour web page.Registration for the AMA Vintage Grand Tour is free. However, participating riders are expected to pay any applicable gate fee or spectator fee charged by the promoter of each event they attend.2015 AMA Vintage Grand Tour Schedule:
- March 7: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Oglethore Speedway, Savannah, Ga.
- March 9-10: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Volusia County Speedway, Barberville, Fla.
- March 28: Motocross. AMA Southwest Vintage Motocross Classic, Arizona Cycle Park, Buckeye, Ariz.
- May 2: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Henry, Ill.
- May 9-10: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Tar Heel Speedway, Tar Heel, N.C.
- May 16-17: Motocross, Hare Scrambles. Action Sports Flashback Weekend, Action Sports Motocross, Athens, Ohio
- May 23-24: Motocross. AMA Southeast Vintage Championship, Monster Mountain MX, Tallassee, Ala.
- May 24: Motocross. Log Road Motocross, Bronson, Mich.
- June 4-6: Motocross. Mid-America Vintage & Post-Vintage Championship, Legends Raceway Park, Jonesboro, Ark.
- June 12-13: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Harpursville, N.Y.
- June 28-29: Motocross. Midwest Vet Vintage Classic. Sunset Ridge MX, Walnut, Ill.
- July 10-12: Motocross, Hare Scrambles, Trials, Dirt Track, Road Race. AMA Vintage Grand Championship, Mid-Ohio Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
- Aug. 8: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Marion County Fairgrounds, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Aug. 29: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Oshkosh Speedway, Oshkosh, Wis.
- Sept. 5-6: Motocross. Nickota Motorsports Park, Bedford, Ky.
- Sept. 5-6: Motocross. 3rd Annual Jammer Cup, Jimmy Weinert Riding Park, Maysville, N.C.
- Sept. 5: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, Ill.
- Sept. 26-27: Dirt Track. AMA Vintage Dirt Track National Championship Series, Cuddebackville, N.Y.