2014 Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1200T Preview
Harley-Davidson is known for its big-twin touring models, such as the Ultra Glide, and even caters to shorter traveling with its ever-popular baggers, such as the Street Glide.
But now The Motor Company wants to attack another demographic of touring motorcyclists – the entry-level riders. The answer? The Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1200T, a mid-2014 model-year Sportster.
The XL 1200T SuperLow was unveiled Thursday at Daytona Beach ahead of Daytona Bike Week, along with the 2014 Low Rider.
What Harley did was simple and creative – take the low-slung and easy-to-handle chassis of the SuperLow 883, add the power of the Evolution 1200 V-Twin engine that produces 70.8 ft.-lb. of torque, and throw in some touring features, including a detachable windshield and lockable saddle bags.
Offered for around $12,000, contingent on color choice, the SuperLow 1200T – which is 118 lb. lighter than the lightest Big-Twin tourer – caters to an entry-level rider that wants to tour via the Harley-Davidson brand.
“The SuperLow 1200T is a new motorcycle driven by the voice of our customers, and by customer action,” said Jennifer Gersch, Harley-Davidson Product Planning Manager. “Many riders seeking an entry point to the touring experience have been putting together a bike like this on their own.
“We’ve added ergonomic adjustments and a selection of touring accessories to a motorcycle platform that is already popular with our customers. They can tour on a great-looking motorcycle that offers performance and inspires confidence, while experiencing those life-defining moments that can only be encountered on the open road.”
Harley began by taking the SuperLow 883 chassis, and providing comfortable ergonomics for both rider and passenger. Part of this design arrives from the “Reduced Reach” two-up touring seat, which positions the rider further forward and features a narrower nose so riders can easily reach the ground. The seat also adheres to the SuperLow name with a 26.1-inch seat height.
Harley says ergonomics are calibrated to offer riders from 5’ 1” to 5’ 7” tall an easier reach to the ground, handlebar and foot controls. This will surely appeal to the shorter rider and women.
These ergonomics for comfortable entry-level touring are paired with mini floorboards, and a windshield and hard saddlebags – that latter two incorporating Harley’s quick-detachable system.
The SuperLow 1200T features rear shock absorbers that offers easy pre-load adjustments so riders can accommodate both the weight of a passenger and luggage. Suspension duties up front are handled by 39mm Showa forks.
Not about to leave styling behind, the 1200T rolls on silver split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels, a cloisonné tank medallion, and loads of chrome.
Stopping the 1200T is a 300mm single disc up front squeezed by a rigid 34mm two-piston caliper, and a single 260mm rear disk squeezed by a 38mm two-piston caliper. The SuperLow is also available with optional Anti-lock Braking System that arrives with the H-D Smart Security System (security fob and keyless ignition).
Regarding the cockpit, the SuperLow 1200T arrives with the new electrical system update found on all 2014 Sportster models, which incorporates an analog speedometer with digital tachometer, restyled ergonomic hand controls, an updated wire harness and voltage regulator.
Harley says the new hand controls include a left-hand trip switch to toggle through screen displays on the speedometer, including an odometer, tripmeter, gear indicator and RPM display. Additionally, new oil tank and side-cover designs provide easier access and service to the battery and diagnostic terminal.
The 2014 Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1200T will be available in Vivid Black or Candy Orange for $11,799, or Birch White/Midnight Pearl for $12,334.
Stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for a First Ride Review from Daytona Bike Week, where Harley is launching the SuperLow 1200T.
2014 Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1200T Features:
• An air-cooled Evolution 1200cc V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 71 ft. lbs. peak torque at 3500 rpm, has a broad powerband for easy get-away from a stop and smooth power out of corners. The powertrain is finished in black powder coat with chrome-plated covers.
• Reduced Reach two-up touring seat moves the rider forward and features a narrow nose for an easy reach to the ground. Seat height is 26.1 inches.
• Rear suspension features a right-side twin tube and a left-side dial adjustable emulsion shock with an easy-to-reach dial that enables a broad range of pre-load adjustment without removing the saddlebags or using tools.
• Front suspension is tuned to accommodate touring and passenger payloads while providing a comfortable ride.
• Detachable 14-inch clear polycarbonate windshield can be adjusted on the forks to match rider height.
• Optimized rider foot location allows easy reach to the ground and to the side stand.
• Mini footboards provide support to the rider for comfort on long rides.
• Black and silver, split five-spoke aluminum wheels with Michelin Scorcher 11T touring tires that are engineered for a touring payload.
• Front turn signals are located on the lower triple tree to increase handlebar adjustment range.
• Lockable saddlebags are covered in durable black vinyl with chrome badges.
• Factory-installed rear docking hardware facilitates installation of an optional luggage rack and sissy bar with backrest.
• Premium glass-filled chrome cloisonné tank badge.
• Chrome-plated headlamp visor, turn signal housings and instrument housing.
• Color choices include: Vivid Black, Candy Orange, and two-tone Birch White/Midnight Pearl.