Harley-Davidson Restyles Fat Bob for 2014
2014 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob Preview/Specs/Photos
In 2008, Harley-Davidson added the Fat Bob (FXDF) to its Dyna lineup, the motorcycle featuring unique twin headlamps, a 2-1-2 exhaust, a fat 180mm tire, and, for the first time in a Dyna lineup, a 130mm front tire.
Besides the upgrade from the 96 ci to the 103 ci for the 2012 model year, the Fat Bob remained relatively unchanged throughout the last four model years.
But for 2014, The Motor Company has restyled the Fat Bob with a more aggressive appearance things to a “Dark Custom” make-over from Harley Styling. Essentially, the chrome was tamed with some black-out features, including the powertrain and air cleaner cover, rear shock covers, triple clamps, headlight trim rings, console and battery box cover. The Aluminum Slotted Disc wheels were also powdercoated black and finished with a laser-engraved Harley-Davidson logo and rim stripe.
Tony Pink (Harley-Davidson Styling Manager) says: “We wanted to take the Fat Bob further into the Dark Custom realm, and one of our inspirational thoughts was Mad Max meets Nascar.
“The compact, chopped lines of the new rear fender, the angle of the shocks, and the slanting tank graphics all line up to create an aggressive new stance that’s reinforced by the new blunt-cut mufflers. The high-contrast details on the black wheels relate nicely to the tank graphic. The seat was given a new form and cover that’s more sporty and more comfortable. Bring it all together and the Fat Bob is ready to reassert its presence on the street.”
Everything else is typical Dyna, from the Twin-Cam 103 V-Twin that pushes 98.8 ft/lbs of torque, the rigid steel frame, thick 49mm fork legs and a chassis built for optimal handling around the corners. The 2014 Harley Fat Bob is stopped by dual, 300mm discs and a single 292mm disc out back.
Following are the key features, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2014 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob.
2014 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob Key Features:
- Rubber-mounted Twin Cam 103 engine rated at 99 ft. lbs. of torque at 3500 rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Automatic Compression Release (ACR), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission. The powertrain is finished in Black powdercoat with black covers.
- NEW Blunt-cut staggered-dual mufflers are mated to the signature “Tommy Gun” 2-1-2 collector exhaust with slotted chrome shields.
- NEW Slash-cut rear fender
- NEW Recessed twin-ring LED taillamp complements the dual headlamps.
- NEW Slim and sporty ergonomic seat and has a perforated cover and silver contrast stitching.
- NEW Console with an integral ignition switch and a five-inch electronic speedometer with multi-function LCD display and LED indicator lights.
- NEW Black machined, Aluminum Slotted Disc wheels with laser-engraved graphics; 16-inch front and rear.
- NEW Blacked-out triple clamps, headlamp trim ring, rear shock covers, and battery box cover.
- NEW Diagonal-stripe fuel tank graphics.
- Dual front disc brakes
- Five-gallon Fat Bob fuel tank.
- Sport front fender with painted brace supports.
- Chrome 1.25-inch diameter drag-style handlebar is internally-wired and mounted on black risers.
- High-performance coil-over rear shocks with gloss black covers.
- Forward-mounted rider footpegs and controls.
- 180mm-16 rear / 130mm-16 front tires.
- Available options; Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob; Anti-lock Braking System (ABS); Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (EITMS)
2014 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob Specs:
- Engine: Air-cooled, Twin Cam 103
- Torque: 98.8 ft/lbs @ 3500 rpm
- Displacement: 103.1ci/1690cc
- Valves: Pushroad-operated, overhead valves with hydraulic, self-adjusting lifters; two valves per cylinder
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Transmission: 6-Speed Cruise Drive
- MPG: 42 MPG combined City/Hwy
- Gas Capacity: 5 gal./18.9 liters
- Frame: Mild steel, tubular frame; rectangular section backbone; stamped, cast, and forged junctions; forged fender supports; MIG welded
- Swingarm: Mild steel, rectangular tube sections, stamped junctions; MIG welded
- Front Forks: 49 mm with polished aluminum fork triple clamp and dual-rate springs
- Rear Shocks: Fully covered, coil-over shock
- Wheels: Front – Machined Aluminum Slotted Disc 16 in. x 3 in. (406 mm x 76 mm); Rear – Machined Aluminum Slotted Disc 16 in. x 5 in. (406 mm x 127 mm)
- Tires: Dunlop Harley-Davidson Series, bias blackwall front and rear; Front: D427F 130/90B16 67H; Rear: D427 180/70B16 77H
- Brakes: 4-piston fixed front and 2-piston torque free-floating rear; 300mm dual discs up front; 292mm single disc out back
- Length: 94.5 inches/2400mm
- Overall Width: 35/890
- Seat Height: 26.1/663
- Ground Clearance: 4.9/125
- Wheelbase: 63.8/1620
- Weight: 673lbs./305kg
2014 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob Color Options/MSRP:
- Vivid Black/$15,699
- Amber Whiskey / $16,099
- Sand Cammo Denim / $16,099
- Black Denim / $16,099