2013 Spring Creek National | AMA Motocross Results
2013 AMA Motocross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2013 AMA Motocross results fro Spring Creek, Millville, Minn., listed below
Heading into round nine of 12 in the 2013 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship at Spring Creek MX Park in Millville, Minn., all eyes were on the two Ryans – the series’ points leader Ryan Villopoto and Ryan Dungey.
But after some intense battling at the 31st annual Spring Creek National, Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart took his first-ever round win of 2013 AMA Motocross. The Floridian earned the overall victory with a 1-3 finish. Joining Stewart on the podium was the man who Muscle Milk Honda’s Trey Canard and the man who won at Spring Creek for the past five consecutive years, Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey.
As for Monster Energy kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, the KX450F rider finished fifth overall after a 6-4 moto finishes.
Under cool temperatures for the midwest round, Team Honda Muscle Milk’s Justin Barcia took the Muscle Superstore Holeshot to take the lead on the 2013 MX schedule’s longest straight. Barcia battled with teammate Canard in the beginning stages, but eventually Stewart took the lead aboard his RM-Z450.
Behind, Dungey was running up front, but a few mistakes pushed him back a few positions. Meanwhile Barcia and Canard swapped the second-place position, but Canard got the best of his teammate, taking the checkered flag ahead of Barcia. Fourth went to Toyota/JGR/Yamaha’s Josh Grant.
Villopoto suffered crash on the opening lap, falling back to 28th. But Villopto worked his way through the grid, taking sixth, just behind of Dungey.
In the second moto, Stewart grabbed the Motorcycle Superstore Holeshot award, and battled intensely with Dungey for the lead. But it was Dungey who settled into the front spot.
As Dungey pulled ahead of the grid, Stewart and Canard engaged in a battle for second, the two swapping the position a few times. But Canard would get the best of Stewart, finishing second. Stewart took third, giving him the overall MX win ahead of Moto-2 winner Dungey.
James Stewart (Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 Motocross) says: “Things just came together today but it was probably the hardest two motos I’ve ridden since last year. We’re just building for next year so any little bit helps. I want to finish this thing [season] and get a couple more wins to carry the momentum into next season.”
Villopoto finished fourth, and this was the first round that he hasn’t finished on the overall podium. But due to winning 12 out of 18 motos so far this season, he retains the points lead with 413, 34 ahead of Dungey.
MX Sports says that GEICO Honda’s Wil Hahn grabbed the Motorcycle Superstore Holeshot in Moto 1 of the 250 Class, where he led the opening lap.
Millville native Jeremy Martin got off to a second place start where he settled in behind Hahn early on. GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle and Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen went back and forth behind MYPLASH/Star Racing/Yamaha’s Martin, where a three-way battle ensued. Roczen eventually passed Bogle, and then Martin, for the second place position, but Roczen experienced a crash that forced the Red Bull KTM rider to pull off the first moto, MX Sports reports.
Martin moved past Hahn to take over the lead in front of his hometown friends and family but a hard-charging Eli Tomac quickly caught up to Martin from behind. Tomac took over the lead and carried it through the finish, while Martin claimed a career-best finish of second place, MX Sports says.
Hahn came out charging in Moto 2 of the 250 Class, grabbing his second straight Motorcycle Superstore Holeshot of the day. Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett and Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen pushed to the front early on, where the duo took turns leading the race. However, Tomac came from behind to interject himself into the lead battle about halfway through Moto 2, MX Sports says.
Tomac eventually moved past Roczen for the lead, where he maintained his position to capture his second moto win of the day and fourth consecutive moto win this season. Roczen finished second in Moto 2, posting a moto score of 35-2 to salvage ninth overall for the day, MX Sports says.
Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin proved that consistency pays off as he captured a pair of fourth place finishes to capture second overall for the day. Rockstar Energy Racing’s Jason Anderson captured a career best third overall with 3-5 finishes for the day Hometown favorite Jeremy Martin put in an impressive ride to finish fourth overall for the day with a 2-7 moto score, MX Sports says.
Tomac’s 1-1 sweep at Spring Creek was enough to claim the 250 Class points lead atop Roczen, who now sits 27 points behind in second, MX Sports says.
Round 10 of the 2013 AMA Motocross Championship heads to New Berlin, N.Y., for the Built Ford Tough Unadilla National on Saturday, Aug. 10.
2013 Spring Creek AMA Motocross 450 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki (1-3)
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda (2-2)
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM (5-1)
4. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda (3-5)
5. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (6-4)
6. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM (7-8)
7. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, (11-6)
8. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda (10-7)
9. Jake Weimer, Twin Falls, Idaho, Kawasaki (9-9)
10. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki (8-10)
2013 AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings:
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 413
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 379
3. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda, 307
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 269
5. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 263
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 195
7. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM, 191
8. Jake Weimer, Twin Falls, Idaho, Kawasaki, 184
9. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 183
10. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 176
2013 Spring Creek AMA Motocross 250 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (1-1)
2. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM (4-4)
3. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki (3-5)
4. Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha (2-7)
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (6-3)
6. Justin Bogle, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (5-6)
7. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (8-8)
8. Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki (7-11)
9. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM (35-2)
10. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Honda (11-9)
2013 AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings:
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 405
2. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM, 378
3. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM, 334
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 295
5. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Honda, 261
6. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki, 238
7. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda, 209
8. Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 207
9. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha, 183
10. Cooper Webb, Morehead City, N.C., Yamaha, 170