2013 Isle of Man TT Recap | Winners & Fatalities
2013 Isle of Man TT Recap
The 102nd running of the Isle of Man TT began last month like most others due – with rain.
Wet conditions plagued the week-long qualifying events at the 37.73-mile Mountain Course that was about to challenge many of the world’s most talented motorcycle riders.
Unfortunately for 2013, one man was killed during qualifying on the Snaefell Mountain Course – the 240th to date in both TT and Manx Grand Prix races since racing begin on the Island in 1911.
The Auto Cycle Union (ACU) reported that Yoshinari Matsushita, 43, of Japan, was killed following a crash at Ballacrye in the north section of the Isle of Man during practice on Monday, May 28. Matsushita was an accomplished racer, and began competing at the TT in 2008. In 2011, he finished fifth in the TT Zero race.
Although a somber scene, like in other years the TT went on. The lack of quality qualifying time caused the opening Dainese TT race to be rescheduled from its normal Saturday to Sunday.
And taking his first-ever Superbike-class TT was Michael Dunlop, who after years on a Yamaha joined the Honda TT Legends team for 2013. Dunlop would rob victory from Honda/Wilson Craig’s Cameron Donald and teammate John McGuinness.
But Dunlop wasn’t done; the nephew of the late Joey Dunlop, who holds the record of 26 TT wins, went onto to win the Supersport 1 TT, the Royal London 360 Superstock TT, and the Supersport 2 TT.
The only man who finally beat Dunlop in 2013 Isle of Man TT solo races was no other than McGuinness. The “Morecambre Missle” piloted his Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade to the Senior TT win on the final Friday of this year’s race week, earning him 20 TT wins.
The five solo races, along with the two Sidecar races, were a clean sweep for Honda.
In the 2013 Isle of Man TT Sidecar races, Tim Reeves and Dan Sayle won the opening race, the duo taking victory in the 3-lap Sure Sidecar race by almost 20 seconds from Conrad Harrison/Mike Aylott and Dave Molyneux/Patrick Farrance.
In race two, Ben and Tom Birchall led from start to finish to take their first victory around the Mountain Course ahead of Dave Molyneux/Patrick Farrance with Conrad Harrison/Mike Aylott.
For additional 2013 Isle of Man TT coverage, click here.
Following are the podium finishes for each race in the 2013 Isle of Man TT:
2013 Isle of Man TT Dainese Superbike TT Results (Sunday, June 2):
1. (6) Michael Dunlop, Honda/Honda TT Legends: 01:45:29.980, 128.747 mph
2. (2) Cameron Donald, Honda/Wilson Craig Racing: 01:46:10.917, 127.920
3. (3) John McGuinness, Honda/Honda TT Legends: 01:46:51.907, 127.102
2013 Isle of Man TT Supersport Race 1 Results (Monday, June 3):
1. (6) Michael Dunlop, Honda/MD Racing: 01:12:20.162, 125.182 mph
2. (5) Bruce Anstey, Honda/HM Plant Honda by Padgetts Motorcycle: 01:12:30.520, 124.884
3. (11) William Dunlop, Yamaha/Milwaukee Yamaha Superbike Team: 01:12:43.602, 124.510
2013 Isle of Man TT Royal London 360 Results (Monday, June 3):
1. (6) Michael Dunlop, Honda/MD Racing: 01:10:37.404, 128.218
2. (7) Gary Johnson, Kawasaki/Lincs Lifting Ltd: 01:10:53.981, 127.718
3. (3) John McGuinness, Honda/HM Plant Honda by Padgetts: 01:11:24.207, 126.817
2013 Isle of Man TT Monster Energy Supersport Race 2 Results (Wednesday, June 5):
1. (6) Michael Dunlop, Honda/MD Racing: 01:11:52.091, 125.997
2. (5) Bruce Anstey, Honda/HM Plant Honda by Padgett: 01:11:54.404, 125.930
3. (3) John McGuinness, Honda/HM Plant Honda by Padgett: 01:12:35.882, 124.731
2013 Isle of Man TT Senior TT Results (Friday, June 7):
1. (3) John McGuinness, Honda/Honda TT Legends: 01:45:20.394, 128.943 mph
2. (6) Michael Dunlop, Honda/Honda TT Legends: 01:45:30.486, 128.737
3. (5) Bruce Anstey, Honda/HM Plant Honda by Padgett: 01:45:37.999, 128.584
2013 Isle of Man TT SES Zero TT Race Results (Wednesday, June 5):
1. (1) Michael Rutter, 2013 MotoCzysz E1PC/: 20:38.461, 109.675 mph
2. (3) John McGuinness, 2013 Shinden Ni/Mugen: 20:40.133, 109.527
3. (10) Robert Barber, RW-2/Ohio State University: 25:02.467, 90.403
2013 Isle of Man TT bikesocial.co.uk Lightweight Race Results (Friday, June 7):
1. (1) James Hillier, Kawasaki/Quattro Plant Kawasaki: 57:42.245, 117.694mph
2. (14) Dean Harrison, Kawasaki/Stuart Smith Racing: 58:15.763, 116.565
3. (10) Conor Cummins, Kawasaki/KMR Kawasaki Powered: 58:38.909, 115.798
2013 Isle of Man TT Sure Formula Sidecar 1 Race Results (Saturday, June 1):
1. (3) Tim Reeves / Daniel Sayle, LCR/SMT / Haith LCR: 59:42.957, 113.728mph
2. (5) Conrad Harrison / Mike Aylott, Shelbourne Honda/Printer Roller Services: 01:00:03.074, 113.093
3. (1) Dave Molyneux / Patrick Farrance, DMR/DMR: 01:00:03.612, 113.077
2013 Isle of Man TT Sure Formula Sidecar 2 Race Results (Wednesday, June 6):
1. (4) Ben Birchall / Tom Birchall, Hanni LCR/Manx Gas Racing: 59:22.340, 114.387mph
2. (1) Dave Molyneux / Patrick Farran, DMR/DMR: 59:39.692, 113.832mph
3. (5) Conrad Harrison / Mike Aylott, Shelbourne Honda/Printer Roller S: 01:00:01.445, 113.145 mph