Honda Revamps the CRF250R for 2014
2014 Honda CRF250R Motorcycle Preview
Last year, Honda released a totally revamped CRF450R, which was nothing like the 2012 model. The motocross machined received a host of suspension and engine upgrades, but was offered at the same $8,440 MSPR of the 2012 model.
But one thing Honda didn’t do was upgrade its CRF250R. This changes for 2014, though, the latest-generation CRF250R receiving the same treatment that the 2013 CRF450R did.
Built specifically for what Honda calls “Generation Scrub,” the 2014 Honda CRF250R features an all-new engine and chassis design.
As for the engine, it received a new cylinder head, new piston, a higher compression ration, a new dual-timing fuel-injection system and a new transmission. Honda says the engine now makes more mid-range power for the track.
Regarding the chassis, the frame is designed to lower the CRF250R’s center of gravity. The bike also receives a dual-muffler exhaust system to “further sharpen handling by centralizing the bike’s mass.”
Honda didn’t release an MSRP, but if it follows the same trend as with the CRF450R, the 2014 CRF250R should arrive with the same price as the 2012 model – $7,420.
Following are the features and specs of the 2012 Honda CRF250R.
2014 Honda CRF250R New Features:
- The all-new aluminum frame is designed to lower the bike’s center of gravity to make a decidedly flickable machine even more nimble than ever before.
- All-new, lighter subframe and airbox
- All-new short and compact dual-muffler exhaust system further sharpens handling by centralizing the bike’s mass.
- A thoroughly revised 249cc Unicam engine adds a big load of midrange punch, thanks to a new cylinder head, new piston and higher compression ratio.
- A new Dual-Timing PGM-FI fuel injection system also helps boost power while also delivering better throttle response and control at partial throttle openings.
- A new transmission adds toughness and durability to the overall package.
- Improved footpeg mount features a patented debris-shielding design.
- All-new radiators are mounted lower in the chassis to help lower the bike’s CG.
- Bold new styling features an aggressive look.
- Fuel capacity is increased from 1.5 gallons to 1.66 gallons.
2014 Honda CRF250R Specs:
- Engine Type: 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke: 76.8mm x 53.8mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.5:1
- Valve Train: Unicam, four-valve; 30.5mm intake, titanium; 25mm exhaust, steel
- Induction: Dual-Timing PGM-FI, 46mm throttle body
- Ignition: Full transistor with electronic advance
- Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
- Final Drive: #520 chain; 13T/49T
- Suspension Front: 48mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 12.2 inches travel
- Suspension Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with adjustable spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.3 inches travel
- Brakes: Front, Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper; Rear, Single 240mm disc
- Tires: Front, Dunlop MX51FA 80/100-21; Rear, Dunlop MX51 100/90-19
- Wheelbase: 58.6 inches
- Rake (Caster Angle): 27°23’
- Trail: 118mm (4.6 inches)
- Seat Height: 37.4 inches
- Ground Clearance: 12.7 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 1.66 gallons
- Colors: Red
- Curb Weight: 231 pounds