2013 Houston AMA Supercross | Results
2013 Reliant Stadium Monster Energy Supercross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross results from Reliant Stadium in Houston listed below
Following a week break due to the Easter Holiday, the 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship convened Saturday evening inside Reliant Stadium in Houston for round 13 of 17.
And before nearly 49,500, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto was victorious, taking his fifth consecutive win of 2013 SX, and his eighth overall. The reigning Supercross champion took the lead on the opening lap, and led all 20 en route to the win.
Joining Villopoto on the Houston SX podium was Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey and Team Muscle Milk Honda’s Trey Canard.
When the race began, MCR Suzuki’s Mike Alessi took the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award, followed by Villopoto, Team Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Barcia and Canard, respectively.
Villopoto took the lead by the end of the opening lap, and five laps in was followed by Canard, Dungey and Yoshumura Suzuki’s James Stewart. By the seventh lap, Dungey moved into second, and a few turns later Stewart also passed Canard and took third.
Stewart began putting much pressure on Dungey, but crashed on the 10th lap before the opening of the 11th lap. Dungey finished second and Canard third in his first race back since an injury sidelined him for a race. Taking fourth was Barcia, with the only other rider to lead the points this season in fifth, Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Davi Millsaps.
This was Villopoto’s second consecutive win at Reliant Stadium, and he now leads the Supercross points race with 277 points, 21 ahead of Millsaps.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX-F450 Supercross) says: “It was tough out there tonight. The track was breaking down out there, and there were several variables that we had to deal with. You had to move quickly out there tonight, and that is what I did in the early part of the race. I wanted to establish a lead before the lapped riders would begin to play a factor in the race.”
Rockstar Energy Racing’s Blake Wharton won his first Eastern Regional 250SX Class Main Event of the year at Reliant Stadium
Zack Freeberg opened the Eastern Regional 250SX Class Main Event with the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award but was quickly passed by Wharton and Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin, the winner of the last three races. Musquin made a move around Wharton on the opening lap, Feld Motor Sports says.
On Lap 1, Wharton answered back, passing Musquin for the lead. Musquin ran into bad luck when he crashed on Lap 5 and lost several places. GIECO Honda’s Wil Hahn, who came into tonight’s race as the points leader, took over the number-two position and gave chase to Wharton but several mistakes kept him making the pass. Hahn finished second and extended his points lead to eight with two races remaining, Feld Motor Sports.
Blake Wharton (Rockstar Energy Suzuki RM-Z250 Supercross) says: “It’s important to be aggressive out there. I had a great start and it was pretty intense during get first few laps, but I was able to give myself a nice cushion until Wil [Hahn] pressured me at the end.”
After re-entering the race, Musquin worked his way through the field, eventually securing third place, where he finished. Three-time AMSOIL Arenacross Champion Tyler Bowers finished a career-best fourth place in his debut ride for the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki team, Feld Motor Sports says.
Racing resumes next Saturday, April 13 at Minneapolis’ Metrodome.
2013 Houston AMA Supercross 450 Class Results:
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Oklahoma, Honda
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
- Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore, Suzuki
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki
2013 AMA Supercross 450 Class Season Standings (after 13 of 17 rounds):
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 277
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 256
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 252
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 202
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda, 196
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 185
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 171
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 162
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 137
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 133
2013 AMA Supercross Eastern Regional 250 Class Results:
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ken., Kawasaki
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda
- Cole Thompson, Canada, Honda
- Peter Larsen, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Lance Vincent, Youngsville, La., Honda
- Daniel Herrlein, Bethesda, Ohio, Honda
- Steven Clarke, Cairo, Ga., KTM
2013 AMA Supercross Eastern Regional 250 Class Season Standings:
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 156
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM, 148
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 133
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 89
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 87
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda, 82
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, N.C., Honda, 78
- Cole Thompson, Canada, Honda, 72
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 71
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 68