Indian Motorcycle Unveils Thunder Stroke 111 Engine (Video)
Indian Thunder Stroke 111
“Honoring our Past. Powering our Future.” This is the tagline Indian Motorcycle uses for its all-new V-Twin engine design that will power all 2014 motorcycles, the Thunder Stroke 111.
Using design and style attributes of the 112-year-old American motorcycle brand, Indian has fused these iconic visions with state-of-the art technology.
The build will be the first major redesign since Polaris Industries acquired the marquee in 2011, and the first major redesign of a motor in seven decades.
Speaking of the acquisition of the company, and the design of the Thunder Stroke 111, Polaris, which also owns Victory Motorcycles, says ” the company has made an unprecedented commitment of time, resources and passion into the design of the all-new power plant.”
“The new design reflects an unparalleled investment into researching the complete history of Indian Motorcycle power train development, including the review of volumes of historical documentation, miles of riding vintage motorcycles, and studying and dissecting a broad array of legendary Indian Motorcycle models.”
The Thunder Stroke 111, which was designed using CAD technology, features a 49-degree, 111 c.i. V-Twin that creates “more than 115-ft. lbs. of torque.” The engine will retain all the attributes that Indian Motorcycle is known for, including parallel pushrod tubes, finned heads, down firing exhausts, left side air intake, and the proportions and layout familiar to Indian Motorcycle fans around the world.
While developing, over one-million miles were put on the engine, which includes Dyno testing and hundreds of thousands of miles of on-road testing.
Steve Menneto (Vice President of Motorcycles, Polaris Industries) says: “Everyone involved in the design of this motorcycle line understands that we are the stewards and caretakers of one of America’s most storied and legendary brands.
“We’ve worked tirelessly to retain the truly iconic characteristics of the brand and combine those elements with advanced technologies to deliver a new Indian Motorcycle offering exceptional performance and truly unsurpassed reliability.
“The new Thunder Stroke 111 engine delivers what riders are looking for, and we expect that Indian Motorcycle fans will be inspired by this legendary new power plant as we accelerate toward our full launch in the months ahead.”
The Thunder Stroke 111 is built in Osceola, Wisconsin at the Polaris Industries Engine Assembly Plant, with future full unit motorcycle assembly taking place in Polaris’ state-of-the-art production facility in Spirit Lake, Iowa.
Attached above is a video of the Indian’s new engine.
2014 Indian Motorcycle Thunder Stroke 111 Engine Specs:
- Displacement: 111 c.i. (1811 c.c.)
- Engine Torque: More than 115 ft-lbs (160 N*m)
- Engine Type: 49 deg V- Twin
- Cooling system type: Air Cooled with Integrated Oil Cooler
- Idle speed +/-50rpm: 800 RPM
- Max Engine speed: 5500 RPM
- Valves per cylinder: 2
- Actuation: Three-Cam, Push-rod, OHV
- Lifter Type: Hydraulic
- Compression Release: Yes
- Bore: 3.89 in (101 mm)
- Stroke: 4.45 in (113 mm)
- Target Compression Ratio: 9.5: 1
- Balancer Type: Helical Gear Primary Balancer
Fuel Induction System:
- Throttle actuation: Electronic Throttle Control
- Throttle Diameter: 2.13 in. / 54 mm
- Fuel Delivery type: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection
- Fuel Type: Premium recommended
- Oil Type: 20W-40
- Sump type: Semi-dry
- Primary Drive: Gear 55/86 ratio
- No. of Ratios: 6-speed Overdrive constant mesh
- Spur/Helical: 1st Spur, 2-6 Helical
- Gear Ratios (overall): 1st, 9.403; 2nd, 6.411; 3rd, 4.763; 4th, 3.796; 5th 3.243; 6th, 2.789
- Final Drive: Carbon Fiber Reinforced Belt 30/66 ratio
- Clutch Type: Multi-plate, Wet clutch, Integral Damper