2013 Kawasaki Dual Sport
For 2013, Kawasaki returns with its light and nimble KLX250S as a carryover model with new color/graphic schemes.Tipping the scales at just under 300 lbs., Kawasaki’s 250 dual sport provides an optimal platform for a wide range of riding styles, from light commuting to the tightest of trails.The KLX250S is powered by 249cc single enclosed in a lightweight, high-tensile steel perimeter frame, the combination yielding a low center of gravity that translates into better maneuvering on tight trails.The engine breathes through a durable, 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor that provides “easy to use response and a broad, smooth power delivery – not to mention fantastic fuel economy.”An aluminum engine guard that protects the crankcase, and dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and an electric fan provide ample cooling.The engine, which features an electric start, is hooked to a refined six-speed transmission that’s geared for use on the trail and the highway, the transmission featuring an advanced shift cam design for positive shift feel and consistent gear engagement.Featuring a short wheelbase for quick turning, the chassis is complemented by lightweight aluminum swingarm employing a highly rigid D-shaped cross section; KX racing-type chain adjusters allow for precise chain adjustments.Up front, the KLX250S features a 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork with 16-way adjustable compression damping and 10-inches of travel. Out back is a Uni-Trak linkage-type rear suspension that has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping, providing 9.1-inches of wheel travel. The bike rolls on 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels that feature 4mm-thick spokes for off-road durability.Stopping the 2013 KLX250S are twin-piston calipers squeezing a 250mm semi-floating petal-shaped disc up front and a 240mm petal-shaped disc at the rear.Finishing the dual-sport package is aggressive bodywork complemented by a custom seat filled with firm urethane and a carefully chosen handlebar pull it all together for long, comfortable days on- and off- the road.Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2013 Kawasaki KLX250S.2013 Kawasaki KLX250S Highlights:Key Features
Single-cylinder 249cc DOHC Engine
- On- and off-road capability means maximum versatility
- 249cc engine is liquid cooled for long engine life
- Adjustable 43mm fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping
- Adjustable Uni-Trak rear suspension helps ensure a smooth ride and great handling
- Fully digital instrumentation has easy-to-read speedometer and tachometer
- Starting is easy with push-button electric start
- Six-speed transmission provides the right gear for any situation
- Brakes feature petal-style discs for superior stopping power
- Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
- Good mass centralization for superior handling
- Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
- Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight clearance between piston and cylinder for greater horsepower and increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
- A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, to boost low-end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
- 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, resulting in improved throttle response, greater power and excellent fuel economy
- Meets strict CARB regulations, so it’s available in all 50 states
- Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
- Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
- More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
- Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
- Quick and easy push-button starting
- Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
- Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
- USFS-approved spark arrestor lets the KLX®250S access designated off-road public riding areas
Inverted Front Forks
- Allows engine’s full potential to be used
- Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
Uni-Trak Rear Suspension
- 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance
- 10.0-inch wheel travel means straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
- 16-way compression damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight and terrain
- 9.1-inches of rear wheel travel for straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
- Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
- The gas-charged remote-reservoir shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping
- Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
- No downtubes, for lower engine placement and lower center of gravity as well as ample ground clearance
- Lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
- KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
- KLX-spec handlebar for a more relaxed position and effortless control
- Footpegs are positioned close to the bike’s centerline
- KLX-spec seat shape and foam make it easier to change seating position
Narrow Fuel Tank
- Aggressive headlight and front fender design
- Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocross line
- Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp taillight design that offers great visibility and further contributes to the KLX 250S’ aggressive styling
- Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control without sacrificing capacity
Petal-Shaped Disc Brakes
- All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information, including a digital bar graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
Wheels and Tires
- Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
- Twin-piston caliper grips a 250mm petal-shaped disc up front
- 240mm rear petal-shaped disc for great power, feel and feedback
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S Specs:
- Fat, 4mm spokes for greater off-road durability
- Tires with small tread blocks for longer tire life and increased grip on asphalt
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S Color Options/MSRP:
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
- Displacement: 249cc
- Bore x stroke: 72.0 x 61.2mm
- Compression ratio: 11.0:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin CVK34
- Ignition: Digital CDI
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
- Rake / trail: 26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm inverted cartridge fork with 16-way compression damping adjustment / 10.0 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak® with adjustable preload, 16-way compression and rebound damping adjustment / 9.1 in.
- Front tire: 80/100×21
- Rear tire: 100/100×18
- Front brake: 250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper
- Rear brake: 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper
- Overall length: 86.6 in.
- Overall width: 32.3 in.
- Overall height: 47.4 in.
- Ground clearance: 11.2 in.
- Seat height: 35.0 in.
- Curb weight: 297.7 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 2.0 gal.
- Wheelbase: 56.3 in.
- Lime Green / $5,099
- Bright White / $5,099