2012 Red Bud Motocross | Results
2012 AMA Motocross
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Motocross results from RedBud USA listed below
The 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship hit its halfway point Saturday evening with the legendary RedBud USA in Buchanan, Mich.
And for the fourth consecutive round, Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey finished with a 1-1 sweep, giving him a dominate lead in the AMA Motocross Championship with six rounds remaining. Joining the KTM SX-F 450 rider on the overall podium was Team Honda Muscle Milk’s Justin Brayton and Team Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart, respectively.
In the first moto, Dungey got out of holeshot, followed by Stewart. As Dungey began opening up a gap, Stewart crashed, allowing Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer and Brayton pass.
Stewart remounted the RM-Z 450, but would have further misfortune, stalling his bike. This dropped him back to seventh, although he would battle his way up one more position to finish sixth. Up front, Dungey finished 45 seconds ahead of Weimer, with Brayton taking third.
In the second moto it was MotoConcepts Suzuki’s Mike Alessi who got the holeshot and early lead, but Dungey soon got into first. Once in the lead, Dungey pulled away, eventually winning by almost 35 seconds. Alessi remained in second to the end, followed by Stewart who took third overall.
With his sweep, Dungey has now won eight consecutive races in four rounds. Dungey now has a 72-point lead over Alessi.
Ryan Dungey (Red Bull KTM 450 SX-F) says: “Having James (Stewart) back this week was good to add another challenge, and it’s good for the sport.
“We made some more changes to the bike coming into (today) and I think we’ve made even more progress. My starts were good and I knew getting out front would make life easier, having a whole track to work with. It’s (too) early to think points, but you’ve got to be smart. With James back, you knew he’d be there, so I didn’t want to downplay him. I just wanted to get a good start and see how things played out.”
In the 250 Class, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett raced to his third victory of the season and second in-a-row with an impressive 1-1 effort.
MX Sports says Baggett needed a pair of come-from-behind performances to take the win. After crossing the line in sixth at the conclusion of the first lap in Moto 1, Baggett began a charge to the front of the field. He quickly picked off riders to move into second by Lap 5 and overcame a five-second deficit to pass GEICO Honda’s Justin Barcia for the lead on Lap 12 and pull away.
In Moto 2, Baggett put himself in a better position, coming out of the gate in third and working his way to the front of the field by the conclusion of the opening lap. On Lap 2, a mistake forced Baggett to fall, allowing Barcia to take over the lead, MX Sports says.
After losing just one spot, Baggett once again set his sights on the lead and managed to take over the position again on Lap 8, holding it through to the finish.
Blake Baggett (GEICO Honda CRF250R Motocross) says: “This track is one of the best on the schedule, its got a little bit of everything. There’s no formula to the way I ride. It just happens. I had a pitiful start in the first moto and fought my way through the pack. I got a good start in the second moto and just tipped it over. I looked at lines to see where I could pick up ground and I just took a shot (at the lead) when I had a chance.”
Barcia’s pair of second-place finishes landed him second overall, while his teammate Eli Tomac, of finished third (5-3). Baggett extended his lead in the championship to 19 points over Barcia.
The Women’s Motocross Championship hosted its fifth round of eight for the 2012 season. Defending champion, Team Honda Muscle Milk’s Ashley Fiolek dominated both motos to claim her second win of the summer. Fiolek missed the WMX Class’ previous round at High Point in June with an injury, but gained valuable points in the championship.
Munn Racing KTM’s Sara Pettersson finished second (3-4), while Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda’s Tarah Gieger finished third (2-6). Current championship points leader, Jessica Patterson finished 14th aboard her Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki after breaking her hand last week, retaining control of the division points lead.
The 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship continues next Saturday, July 14, with round seven from Spring Creek MX Park in Millville, Minn., and the Spring Creek National.
2012 RedBud AMA Motocross 450 Class Results (Moto Finish):
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM (1-1)
- Justin Brayton, Ft. Dodge, Iowa, Honda (3-4)
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki (6-3)
- Tyla Rattray, Durban, South Africa, Kawasaki (4-5)
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki (11-2)
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki (5-9)
- Cole Thompson, Brigden, Ontario, Canada, Honda (7-8)
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki (9-7)
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda (12-6)
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki (2-20)
2012 AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings (after six of 12 rounds):
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 286
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 214
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 202
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 178
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki, 162
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 151
- Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki, 142
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki, 137
- Justin Brayton, Ft. Dodge, Iowa, Honda, 131
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Kawasaki, 100
2012 RedBud AMA Motocross 250 Class Results (Moto Finish):
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (1-1)
- Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda (2-2)
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (5-3)
- Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM (4-4)
- Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM (3-6)
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (6-5)
- Gareth Swanepoel, Johannesburg, South Africa, Yamaha (9-7)
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki (7-12)
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda (12-9)
- Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda (11-10)
2012 AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings:
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 272
- Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda, 253
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 236
- Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM, 235
- Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM, 189
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 161
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 125
- Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M, Suzuki, 121
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda, 109
- Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda, 105
2012 RedBud AMA Motocross WMX Class (Moto Finish):
- Ashley Fiolek, St. Augustine, Fla., Honda (1-1)
- Sara Pettersson, Sweden, KTM (3-4)
- Tarah Gieger, Aguadilla, Puerto Rico., Honda (2-6)
- Kasie Creson, Vallejo, Calif., Honda (5-3)
- Jacqueline Strong, Sedona, Ariz., KTM (4-5)
- Mariana Balbi, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, Honda (14-2)
- Alexah Pearson, Sacramento, Calif., KTM (6-7)
- Sarah Whitmore, Cheboygan, Mich., KTM (7-8)
- Sade Allender, Sanford, Maine, Honda (8-9)
- Brianna DeGray, Springfield, Mass., KTM (9-10)
2012 AMA Motocross WMX Class Standings:
- Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 201
- Tarah Gieger, Aguadilla, Puerto Rico., Honda, 192
- Ashley Fiolek, St. Augustine, Fla., Honda, 175
- Mariana Balbi, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, Honda, 155
- Jacqueline Strong, Sedona, Ariz., KTM, 148
- Kasie Creson, Vallejo, Calif., Honda, 146
- Sara Pettersson, Sweden, KTM, 139
- Sayaka Kaneshiro, Osaka, Japan, Honda, 137
- Alexah Pearson, Sacramento, Calif., KTM, 100
- Sade Allender, Sanford, Maine, Honda, 99