Budds Creek AMA Motocross | Results
2012 AMA Motocross
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Motocross results from Le Mans listed below.
The 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship headed to Maryland’s Budd Creek MX Park for round five of 12 Saturday evening.
And for the third consecutive race in a row, Ryan Dungey brought the Red Bull KTM team another 1-1 finish. The sweep at Budds Creek gave Dungey a huge advantage in the series, the Minnesota native now having 54 points over MotoConcepts Suzuki’s Mike Alessi.
Joining Dungey on the overall podium was Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Broc Tickle (2-2) and Alessi (4-3), respectively.
When the first moto got underway, Team Honda Muscle Milk’s Justin Brayton took the holeshot, but Dungey got the front quickly. The SX-F 450 rider continued to extend his lead throughout the moto, eventually finishing 43 seconds ahead or Tickle. Taking third in moto 1 was Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer.
In the second moto, Alessi took the early lead, but Dungey passed him on the third lap. Dungey again opened up a gap on the field, finishing well ahead of Tickle. Taking third was Alessi.
Ryan Dungey (Red Bull KTM SX-F 450) says: “It was good (today), starting from practice and into the (races). I got good starts, which helped get me out front. Mike (Alessi) and Broc (Tickle) both rode well, so I had to do some work in that second moto. We have a couple weeks off now, so I’ll use it to my advantage and see if we can (still) get a little bit better.”
With his win, Dungey now holds a 54-point lead over Alessi.
In the 250 Class, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett secured his second victory of the season thanks to a triumphant effort in the second moto.
Baggett started the day off with a strong runner-up effort in the opening moto, following GEICO Honda’s Justin Barcia across the line. However, after Barcia started Moto 2 outside the top five, it allowed Baggett to put himself in position for the win, MX Sports says.
Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen looked poised to challenge for his first career victory on U.S. soil by leading the majority of each moto. However, the former FIM World Motocross MX2 Champion was passed late in the first moto by both Barcia and Baggett, and ultimately gave way to Baggett in Moto 2 as well, MX Sports says.
By virtue of his second moto win, Baggett solidified the overall victory with 2-1 moto results.
Blake Baggett (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX250F) says: “Last year, I crashed (in) both motos. Today, I didn’t crash and came out with a win. After last week (finishing fourth), it feels good to be back (up) here. I knew we would be catching lappers (in Moto 2) and you never know with them, so I just kept pushing and it worked out.”
Roczen extended his podium streak to five rounds with a career best second-place finish (3-2), while Barcia fought his way to a solid result in the second moto to finish third overall (1-5).
Baggett extended his lead in the championship to 13 points over Barcia.
Following a two-week break from competition, the 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship continues on July 7, with round six from RedBud in Buchanan, Mich., and the Red Bull RedBud National.
2012 Budds Creek AMA Motocross 450 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM (1-1)
2. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki (2-2)
3. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki (4-3)
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki (3-4)
5. Justin Brayton, Ft. Dodge, Iowa, Honda (5-8)
6. Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki (8-6)
7. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki (10-5)
8. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha (9-7)
9. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda (6-10)
10. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha (7-11)
2012 AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings:
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 236
2. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 182
3. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 179
4. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 154
5. Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki, 142
6. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki, 134
7. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 116
8. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki, 111
9. Nico Izzi, Rochester, Mich., Yamaha, 95
10. Justin Brayton, Ft. Dodge, Iowa, Honda, 93
2012 Budds Creek AMA Motocross 250 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (2-1)
2. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM (3-2)
3. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda (1-5)
4. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (5-3)
5. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM (4-4)
6. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M, Suzuki (7-6)
7. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (6-7)
8. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda (13-8)
9. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda (12-10)
10. Phil Nicoletti, Cohocton, N.Y., Honda (14-9)
2012 AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings:
1. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 222
2. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda, 209
3. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 200
4. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM, 200
5. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM, 153
6. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 130
7. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M, Suzuki, 106
8. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 102
9. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 99
10. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Yamaha, 96