2012 World Superbike Misano Qualifying Results
Kawasaki Racing Team’s Tom Sykes secured his seventh career pole and his fifth this season when he set the fastest lap Saturday at Misano for round seven of the 2012 World Superbike Championship.
Sykes did not find the quick times earlier in Superpole, but his team made some changes to his ZX-10R’s set-up that allowed him to go fastest after regulation qualifying and lead the pack of 16 competing riders into what was declared a “Wet Superpole.”
By the time Superpole one was underway the track was nearly dry, then almost completely dry by the end of Superpole two, allowing Sykes to get come to the outright track best, but not better it.
On his Kawasaki Racing Team Ninja ZX-10R Sykes was quickest in Superpole one before repeating that feat in the second session, posting a 1:35.375, which was a time that his closest competitors could not get close to.
Joining Sykes on the front row will be Honda World Superbike’s Jonathan Rea, BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet’s Ayrton Badovini and Althea Ducati’s Davide Giugliano.
Tom Sykes: “It looks like the qualifying tires change the balance of the bike and we have been working in a similar set-up direction all weekend. So it looks like when we get to qualifying the softer tires really benefit our package. It is really valuable information and the data is something we can use to build on for the future.
“I used all but one of the five available rear tire options they have here, maybe saving one to try tomorrow. I am quite happy with two of the tires for race use right now so let’s see what tomorrow’s track conditions bring. I had a big moment at the end of Superpole one when I think I hit a little puddle of water on the rumple strip and the back end stepped out. There was no mistake on my part but just a bit of a puddle of water. I managed to hold tight on the handlebars and got through the moment OK.”
2012 Misano World Superbike Superpole Results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’35.375
2. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1’35.991
3. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1’36.083
4. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’36.147
5. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1’36.183
6. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1’36.283
7. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’36.365
8. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’36.559
9. Matteo Baiocco (Barni Racing Team Italia) Ducati 1098R 1’37.509
10. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’37.686
11. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’37.704
12. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1’37.796
13. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1’37.806
14. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’37.985
15. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1’38.078
16. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’38.977
17. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’36.934
18. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’37.168
19. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1’37.202
20. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1’37.250
21. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’37.312
22. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’37.688
23. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’38.674
24. Federico Sandi (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1’40.251