The 2012 Tuono V4R, immediately recognized by its triple headlight attached to the top fairing, features traits of the World Superbike Championship winning RSV4 (Max Biaggi, 2010), but is stripped down to the bare necessities for mean, naked styling.The 65-degree V4 pumps out an asphalt-terrorizing 167 horsepower at 11,500 rpm and 82 ft. lbs. of torque at 9,500 rpm. And this power is delivered smoothly due to the tech-savvy electronic fuel injection that utilizes a single injector per cylinder and integrated independent Ride by Wire system for each bank.The Tuono V4R also features three maps selectable from the handlebar:
- T – TRACK: All 167.3 hp of power available at the slightest twist of the throttle.
- S – SPORT: Smooth delivery, maximum power. Torque limited in all gears for fun yet less demanding riding.
- R – ROAD: Smooth delivery and power attenuated by 25% across the rev range. Greater usability in all conditions. Ideal for the city or wet road conditions.
- ATC (Aprilia Traction Control): With eight different traction control settings for in relation to turn angle and throttle aperture. The system has been tweaked to make the more conservative settings even more suitable for road use, while leaving the racing spirit of the less restrictive levels intact.
- AWC (Aprilia Wheelie Control): Helps the rider maintain control by gradually bringing the front wheel back to the ground. AWC has been appropriately adapted for the different weight distribution of the Tuono V4.
- AQS (Aprilia Quick Shift): Allows instantaneous upshifts without closing the throttle or using the clutch. Completing the suite of four functions is the most exhilarating of all: ALC (Aprilia Launch Control).
- ALC (Aprilia Launch Control): Simultaneously pressing both buttons on the joystick on the left hand handlebar arms the system, as confirmed by the specific message on the display. From this moment on, all 167 horsepower of the beast from Noale are ready to slingshot the Tuono V4 like a missile as soon as the rider releases the clutch, unleashing the astonishing power onto the tarmac through every available square millimeter of the 190/55 rear tire. And tire size does not matter to APRC, as with its Calibrating function, it is the only system of its kind on the market capable of self-adapting to tire size and drive ratio.