2012 AMA Supercross
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Supercross results from Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, listed below
For the sixth time this season, the reigning AMA Supercross Champion Ryan Villopoto was victorious, his latest feat arriving at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis Saturday evening.
But it wasn’t an easy win for the Washington native. Motoconcepts Suzuki’s Mike Alessi took the Nuclear Cowboyz holeshot, followed by Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Brayton and Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin, respectively. Villopoto, meanwhile, started mid pack.
On Lap five, Alessi lost the lead to Brayton, and soon Yoshimura Suzuki’s Brett Metcalfe was in second. But on lap 10, Villopoto had already made his way to the front of the pack, taking Metcalfe for second. Five laps later, Villopoto would pass Brayton to take the win, his sixth this season.
Joining Villopoto on the Indy Supercross podium was Brayton, and JGRMX/Toyota/Yamaha’s Davi Millsaps.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Supercross) says: “This was by far the hardest track of the season. It was slick out there, and I had to be on my game. It was tough to make passes on this track.”
Missing from Saturday’s Supercross event was Joe Gibbs Yamaha’s James Stewart; the Floridan was struck by GEICO Honda’s Kevin Windham during his heat race, and knocked out. Reports say Stewart didn’t have a concussion, but he was sidelined due to the impact of the crash.
With his victory, Villopoto now has 246 points after 11 of 17 rounds. Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey, who is out with a shoulder injury, is in second, 54 points behind Villopoto. Stewart remains in third with 177 points.
In the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class, Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki’s Blake Wharton took his first win of the season.
Red Bull Red KTM’s Ken Roczen led the field through turn one in the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Main Event, winning the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award, with Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett following in second. Baggett quickly passed Roczen, but Roczen answered back as he passed him near the end of the opening lap.
On Lap 5 the race was red flagged due to a crash by Star/Valli/Yamaha’s Kyle Cunningham. The race was restarted in a staggered format with Roczen, Baggett and Wharton in the top three positions, respectively. Current points leader Justin Barcia, who rides for the GIECO Honda team, restarted in eighth place.
After the restart, Wharton charged his way around Baggett and assumed the number-two position, and on the same lap Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Darryn Durham moved into third place. While leading, Roczen crashed and suffered a mechanical problem that forced him to re-enter the race in last place. As a result, Wharton assumed the lead and Durham took over second place. Wharton rode to the second win of his career and Durham finished in second place for the second time this season. Barcia rounded out the podium with a third, Feld Motor Sports says.
Justin Barcia (GEICO Honda CRF250 Supercross) says: “I am lucky to finish where I did tonight. It was so slick out there tonight and tough to get through the corners. It just wasn’t our night tonight, but we will be back.”
Blake Wharton (Rockstar Energy Suzuki RMZ250) says: “I am very thankful to everyone that got me here,” said Wharton. “It was a strange start after the red flag, but it was great for me. I didn’t look up until I saw the white flag, and once I saw it, I knew I had to ride smart for one more lap.”
Monster Energy Supercross heads north to Toronto’s Rogers Centre next weekend.
2012 Indianapolis AMA Supercross Class Results:
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
3. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
5. Cole Seeley, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki
7. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
8. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
9. Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Nico Izzi, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
2012 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings:
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 246
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 192
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 177
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 151
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 146
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 143
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 142
8. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 134
9. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 128
10. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki – 128
2012 Indianapolis Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Results:
1. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
2. Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Kawasaki
3. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda
6. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
7. Matthew Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki
8. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ken., Kawasaki
9. Les Smith, York, SC., KTM
10. Shawn Rife, Mechanicsburg, Ohio., Honda
2012 Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings:
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 120
2. Darryn Dunham, Butler, Pa., Kawasaki – 98
3. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki – 97
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 80
5. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Ga., KTM – 80
6. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Suzuki – 72
7. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda – 61
8. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 43
9. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., KTM – 42
10. PJ Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 38