2012 KTM Motorcycle
The Europeans always get the unique motorcycles first, such as KTM’s Supermoto T (SM T), a machine built around a Supermoto platform, but designed for sport-touring comfort and a small degree of off-road riding.
But knowing there’s a market here in the states for such a machine, KTM began offering the SM T stateside last year, the bike immediately gaining notoriety from motorcycle journalists and riders alike.
And for 2012, the Austrian brand again offers the SM T with the minimal upgrades, the most significant being the a new pre-load adjuster for the rear spring that’s operated by tool.
The machine still offers the 75-degree. 999cc V-Twin that pumps out 115 horsepower at 9,000 rpm, the motor equipped with EFI which is fed through a 48mm Keihin throttle body.
And the trellis-framed 2012 KTM SM T features much ground clearance – 7.7 inches – for any wandering off-road. As for suspension, the KTM SM T 990 features WP components – 48mm diameter forks providing 6.9-inches of travel and the single shock granting 7.3-inches of travel.
The dual-channel ABS system developed by Bosh continues as standard equipment on the 990 SM T, but has the feature to be switched off depending on riding conditions. Stopping the Supermoto T are dual 305mm discs with four-piston Brembo calipers up front, and a 240mm rotor with two-piston caliper out back.
The KTM 990 SM T provides a rider with upright ergonomics, and a smaller fairing for that provides some protection from the elements. And if a trip is planned, the 2012 KTM 990 SM T arrives stock with detachable soft saddlebags out back.
The KTM 990 SMT is all about providing comfort, diversity and some off-road capability with the popular Supermoto styling.
2012 KTM 990 SMT ABS Specs:
- Type: 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75°
- Displacement: 999 cc
- Bore/stroke: 101/62.4 mm
- Power: 115hp @ 9000 rpm
- Torque: 71.5 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm
- Compression ratio: 11.5:1
- Starter/battery: Electric starter/12V 11.2Ah
- Transmission: 6 gears
- Fuel system: Keihin EFI, throttle valve Ø 48 mm
- Control: 4 V/DOHC
- Lubrication : Pressure lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps
- Engine oil: Motorex, SAE 10W-50
- Primary drive: 35:67
- Final drive: 17:41
- Cooling: Liquid cooling
- Clutch: Multi-disc wet clutch, hydraulically operated
- Engine management/ignition: Keihin EMS
- Frame: “Chromium-Molybdenum trellis frame, powder-coated”
- Subframe: Aluminum
- Handlebar: Aluminum, tapered, Ø 28/22 mm
- Front suspension: WP-USD Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension:WP-Monoshock
- Suspension travel front/rear: 160/180 mm
- Front brake: 2 x Brembo 4-piston fixed-caliper, radially bolted, brake disc Ø 305 mm, floating
- Rear brake: Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, brake disc Ø 240 mm
- ABS: Bosch two channel ABS
- Wheels front/rear: Cast aluminum wheels 3.50 x 17”; 5.50 x 17”
- Tires front/rear: 120/70 ZR 17; 180/55 ZR 17
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 5/16″
- Silencer: Twin stainless-steel silencer with regulated catalytic converters
- Steering head angle: 24.4°
- Wheel base: 1.505 ± 15 mm
- Ground clearance: 195 mm/7.7″
- Seat height: 875 mm/34.4″
- Tank capacity: approx. 19 liters/5gal – 3.7 liters/1 gal reserve
- Weight (ready to race): approx. 192 kg/423lbs (without fuel)
- MSRP: TBA