2012 Triumph Speed Triple R | Preview
2012 Triumph Motorcycle
Triumph’s famed naked sportbike, the Speed Triple, underwent some major changes for 2012, the motorcycle now a "R" model.
From Ohlins suspension to Brembo brakes to the Pirelli Supercorsa SP rubber contacting the road, the Speed Triple R has all the high-performance necessitates to be a true naked sportbike.
Starting with the suspension, Triumph upgraded the Speed Triple R with Swedish-based Ohlins components. The front features the latest NIX30 43mm forks, and a TTX36 Monoshock out back.
The 2012 Speed Triple R handling is further refined with lightweight, five-spoke forged aluminum PVM wheels that weigh 3.7 lbs. less than the previous Speed Triple. This lightweight also help minimize unsprung weight, allowing for more precise handling.
Triumph reports that stopping the Speed Triple R are top-specification, four-piston radial monoblock calipers from Brembo, the leading brand in MotoGP racing, with Triumph’s electronic anti-lock system available as a switchable option. Together, the brakes and wheels offer a 5% increase in braking performance over the standard Speed Triple.
And of course, there’s the monstrous powerplant – the 1050cc three-cylinder that produces 133 base horsepower and 82 ft. lbs. of torque. The fuel-injected engine is paired with the debut of the 1050’s new gearbox, with was redesigned for "more positive and refined shifting action."
The 2012 Speed Triple R arrives in a metallic Phantom Black or metallic Crystal White, with "subtle details like the R branded tapered black alloy bars, carbon fibre radiator, mudguard and tank covers, unique decals and red colored subframe."
With the original Speed Triple, Triumph made a name for itself in the naked sportbike market. But with the 2012 Speed Triple R, Triumph is looking to redefine the category, bringing utmost performance regarding handling and power, and with some bold styling to go with it.
Following are the specs and color options for the 2012 Triumph Speed Triple R. As of this writing, the MSRP has not yet been reported.
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R Specs:
- Type: Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
- Capacity: 1050cc
- Bore/Stroke: 79 x 71.4mm
- Fuel System: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI
- Exhaust: Stainless steel 3 into 1 into 2, twin high level stainless steel silencers
- Final Drive: X ring chain
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox: 6-speed
- Oil Capacity: 3.8 litres (1.0 US gals)
- Frame: Aluminum beam twin-spar
- Swingarm: Single-sided, aluminum alloy with eccentric chain adjuster
- Front: Forged aluminum alloy 5 spoke 17 x 3.5in / 120/70 ZR17
- Rear: Forged aluminum alloy 5 spoke 17 x 6.0in / 190/55 ZR17
- Front: Öhlins 43mm NIX30 upside down forks with adjustable rebound and compression damping, 120mm travel
- Rear: Öhlins TTX3 twin tube Monoshock with rebound and compression damping, 130mm rear wheel travel
- Front: Twin 320mm floating discs, Brembo 4-piston Mobobloc radial calipers, switchable ABS
- Rear: Single 255mm disc, Nissin single 2-piston sliding caliper, switchable ABS
- Master Cylinder: Brembo radial master cylinder, 18mm diameter
- LCD multi-functional instrument pack with digital speedometer, fuel gauge, trip computer, analogue tachometer, programmable gear change lights, lap timer, service interval announcement and TPMS ready, switchable ABS
- Length: 2100mm (82.1in)
- Width: 795mm (31.3in)
- Height without mirrors: 1110mm (43.7in)
- Seat Height: 825mm (32.5in)
- Wheelbase: 1435mm (56.5in)
- Rake/Trail: 22.8o/90.9mm
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.5 litres (4.6 US gals)
- Wet Weight (ready to ride): 212kg (466lbs)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R Performance:
- Maximum Power: 135PS / 133bhp / 99kW @ 9400rpm
- Maximum Torque: 111Nm 82ft.lbs @ 7750rpm
- MPG: City/34 Highway/50
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R Color Options/MSRP:
- Phantom Black / NA
- Crystal White / NA