2012 Star Motorcycle
Chopper styling with modern reliability has been the design attributes for the Star Raider since the cruiser’s debut in 2008, but the “S” model takes it one step further in 2012 with the addition of much chrome.
The 2012 Star Raider features customized bling right out of the showroom, including chrome triple clamps, fork sliders, air box cover, engine covers, headlight housing and handlebar risers.
These chrome accessories bring out the style of the 2012 Raider S, just as the 6-degree yoke angle, a first ever on a Star motorcycle, allows for a custom-chopper look but with “neutral handling and straight-line cruisability.”
This cruising ability is due to a 33-degree rake plus 6 degrees yoke angle, which gives the Raider S a total rake of 39 degrees and 102mm of trail. This neutral chassis rolls on five-spoke wheels with a 120mm tire up front, and a massive 210mm tire out back.
Powering the Raider S is the powerful, 113 ci (1854cc) 48-degree V-Twin with fuel injection, which is claimed to get 42 mpg, allowing for more stylish cruising between fill-ups.
Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Star Raider S.
2012 Star Raider S Highlights:
- 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled, OHV with 4 valves per cylinder, pushrod 48-degree V-twin pumps out max torque at just 2500 rpm and max power at 4500 rpm for powerful, relaxed cruising.
- Four pushrod-activated valves and two spark plugs per cylinder provide optimum combustion efficiency along with classically beautiful engine architecture.
- Ceramic-composite plated cylinders for superior heat dissipation with forged pistons cooled by oil jets. Provides outstanding reliability and longer engine life.
- 9.48:1 compression ratio and aggressive cam timing increase power output across the board.
- Computer-controlled, twin-bore fuel injection monitors multiple engine parameters to calculate perfect mixture under all conditions; wide-angle 12-hole fuel injectors provide excellent atomization.
- A 3.5-liter airbox is hidden in the area below the fuel tank for great performance and clean styling.
- Two-into-one-into-two exhaust with Exhaust Ultimate Power valve (EXUP®) inside boosts torque in the 2500-3500-rpm range.
- Special custom-machining of the cooling fin edges gives a jewel-like appearance to the engine as light hits it from different angles.
- All-aluminum cast frame is lightweight, rigid and tuned for light, athletic handling. A light, Controlled-Fill, aluminum swingarm casting complements the bike’s lithe style.
- Low, sculpted seat holds the rider in place, and pullback bars reach back to enforce a casual, urban cruising style.
- A 6-degree yoke angle-the first ever on a street-legal Star Motorcycle-makes it possible to achieve that custom look as well as neutral handling and straight-line cruisability: 33-degree rake plus 6 degrees yoke angle gives total rake of 39 degrees and 102mm of trail.
- Custom 5-spoke wheels carry a 120/70-21-inch bias tire up front, and a wide, 210/40-18 radial out back-the tallest and widest ever on a Star.
- 46mm fork tubes serve a sweet appearance and an excellent ride through 5.1 inches of wheel travel.
- A tucked-out-of-sight single shock with adjustable spring preload out back provides a smooth ride under varying loads.
- Flangeless fuel tank carries a full 4.2 gallons of fuel.
- Front brake master cylinder with integrated lever operates a pair of 298mm front discs squeezed by strong monoblock calipers for excellent power and feel, with a 310mm disc out back.
- Strong, light and narrow belt final drive contains embedded carbon fiber for even greater strength.
- Wiring harness uses super-slim wires for compactness, are lighter weight and switchgear wiring is routed inside the handlebar for a clean appearance.
- Left-thumb operated high-beam switch, and right-thumb activated accessory driving light switch for great visibility.
- Jewel-like fit and finish, and Star quality paint, chrome and attention to detail are evident all over the Raider S.
- Cool, tank-mounted instrumentation complements the custom look, and contains analog speedometer and fuel gauge, along with twin digital tripmeters, odometer and self-diagnostics.
- Bright multireflector headlight, LED taillight, and amber turn signals behind clear lenses give a custom look.
- 02 sensor and three-way catalyst reduce emissions.
2012 Star Raider S Specs:
- Type: 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin OHV, 4 valves/cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 100.0 x 118.0mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.48:1
- Fuel Delivery: Twin-Bore electronic fuel injection; throttle position sensor
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5-speed, multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Belt
- Frame: Double cradle
- Suspension / Front: Telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Swingarm; 3.5-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 310mm
- Tires / Front: 120/70-21
- Tires / Rear: 210/40-18
- Wheels: 5-spoke cast
- Length: 101.2 in
- Width: 36.4 in
- Height: 45.9 in
- Seat Height: 27.4 in
- Wheelbase: 70.9 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.2 gal
- Fuel Economy: 42 mpg
- Wet Weight: 730 lbs.
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Star Raider S Color Options/MSRP:
- Nebulous Purple / $15,390
- Raven / $15,190
Availability: 49 States November 2011, California December 2011