Southwick AMA Motocross | Preview
2011 AMA Motocross
Only three rounds remain in the 2011 AMA Motocross Championship, the final countdown beginning this weekend at the sandy Rockstar Energy Southwick National in Southwick, Mass.
The riders had one week off following Unadilla Motocross, which was dominated by the current points leader – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto.
While debuting the 2012 Kawasaki KX450F at Unadilla, Villopoto swept both motos. Due to his wins, Villopoto extended his lead to 391 points, seven ahead of the reigning AMA Motocross Champion, Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey.
Dungey would finish second in both motos, with the newest 450cc rider Justin Barcia taking third in both motos aboard the American Honda CRF450 R. Dungey also took victory at last year’s Southwick Motocross, sweeping the round en route to his first-ever AMA Motocross title.
And just as Kawasaki is ruling the 450cc class, it is also on top in the 250cc Class. This is due to Kawasaki riders Dean Wilson, Blake Baggett and Tyla Rattray; all were victorious so far in the 2011 AMA Motocross 250cc Class.
But it’s Wilson on top; he swept both motos at Unadilla, and is now 25 points ahead of Baggett heading into Southwick Motocross.
MX Sports says Moto-X 338, named after American Legion Post 338, which owns the property, has been hosting motocross events since the 1973 season. Just three years after the facility’s first year of operation, the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship held its first event in Southern Massachusetts, and Moto-X 338 has been a staple on the schedule ever since. Southwick boasts the most unique characteristic of any other track in American Motocross, featuring an entire layout of sand, which creates a very technical and challenging track for the world’s best riders.
MX Sports says affectionately referred to as the “sand box” and “the beach,” Southwick is a fan and rider favorite, year-in and year-out. This summer, the track has added a new tunnel jump, which will bring even more excitement to what is already sure to be a captivating event.
The on-track action begins at 8:30 am. EDT Saturday, with the motos scheduled for 1 p.m.
2011 Southwick AMA Motocross TV Schedule
- Aug. 27 / FUEL TV 1 p.m. 250/450 First Motos
- Aug. 27 / SPEED 10 p.m. 450 Second Moto
- Aug. 27 / SPEED 11 p.m. 250 Second Moto
- Sept. 1 / FUEL TV 10 p.m. Highlight Show
AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings (After nine of 12 rounds)
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 391
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 384
- Chad Reed, Kurri Kurri, Australia, Honda – 366
- Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki – 262
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM – 210
- Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM – 196
- Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda – 193
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 190
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 173
- Tommy Hahn, Great Bend, Kan., Yamaha – 140
AMA Motcross 250 Class Championship Standings
- Dean Wilson, Glasgow, Scotland, Kawasaki – 396
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 371
- Tyla Rattray, Durban, South Africa, Kawasaki – 353
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 264
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 239
- Gareth Swanepoel, Johannesburg, South Africa, Yamaha – 200
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 195
- Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda – 181
- Martin Davalos, Quito, Ecuador, Suzuki – 175
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Honda – 148