2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna
For 2012, Harley-Davidson expands its Dyna line with the Dyna Switchback, allowing riders to go "switch" from custom tourer to custom cruiser.
The Dyna Switchback features color-matched hard saddlebags and a fork-mounted windshield, which can both be quickly removed in seconds without tools.
Without the touring necessities, the Dyna Switchback appears like a customized street cruiser, highlighted by the mini-ape handlebars, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels an attractive front headlight.
Simply add the saddlebags and windshield, and the Harley rider is ready for some comfortable touring.
Powering the 2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Switchback is the Twin Cam 103 V-Twin engine. This powerhouse easily muscles around the Dyna Switchback, which weights in at 718 lbs., 94 less than the Harley Road King.
Harley also improved handling on the new Dyna Switchback by offering premium suspension, low-profile front tire and a revamped front-end geometry.
Brian Scherbarth (Harley-Davidson Product Engineer) says: "The new front end geometry, wheel and tire specs, and cartridge fork are engineered to work together to produce steering that’s light to input and immediately responsive.
"A demo ride will reveal that [the] Switchback [motorcycle] is a capable touring motorcycle that’s also really fun to ride."
2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Switchback Motorcycle Features:
- The Twin Cam 103 engine with 103 cid (1,690 cc), rubber-mounted within the frame, is rated at 100 ft. lbs. of torque at 3,500 rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise DriveTM transmission.
- The 2-in-1 chrome exhaust with straight-cut muffler is tuned for a deep exhaust tone.
- The advanced suspension is tuned for comfort and precise handling. The nitrogen-charged, mono-tube rear shocks have preload-adjustable, dual-rate springs. A 41.3 mm front fork with a 20 mm cartridge delivers enhanced damping performance, handling, and rider comfort.
- The low-profile Dunlop 130/70B18 front tire and specific front-end geometry provide reduced steering effort, enhanced steering response, and confident low-speed manoeuvring.
- The color-matched detachable hard saddlebags have a combined luggage capacity of 30 pounds. The saddlebag locks are common to the ignition key, and external latches do not interfere with packing and reduce usable bag volume.
- Quick-detach, fork-mounted windshield.
- The black, five-spoke cast-aluminium wheels have machine-highlighted rims: 18-inch front, 17-inch rear.
- Full-coverage front and rear fenders.
- Chrome headlamp nacelle.
- Chrome fork covers and chrome rear shock covers.
- Chrome tank console with integrated ignition switch.
- Classic black battery box cover.
- Full-length rider footboards.
- The one-piece, two-up seat features custom stitched detailing. Seat height (laden) is 26.1 inches. Its narrow cross-section enables flat-foot stops for most riders.
- The Security Package option bundles Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) and the Smart Security System, with a proximity-based, hands-free security fob.
- Stainless steel, mini-ape-hanger handlebar on pull-back riser.
- 4.7-gallon fuel tank.
- Colors: Vivid Black, Brilliant Silver Pearl, Ember Red Sunglo
2012 Harley-Davidson Switchback Color Options/MSRP:
- Vivid Black / $15,999
- Brilliant Silver Pearl / $16,384
- Ember Red Sunglo / $16,384