Knockhill British Superbike: Friday Results
2011 British Superbike
The first two practice sessions wrapped up Friday at a wet Knockhill for the fifth round of the 2011 British Superbike Championship, and one rider was one top: Swan Yamaha’s Tommy Hill.
Hill set the pace for this weekend’s BSB round while still healing from the shoulder he broke at Round 2 in Oulton Park in April.
Hill, who is fourth in the BSB standings, ran a 53.327 in the first free practice, and bettered that to a 52.810 in the second free practice with an average speed of 86.66 mph. The
Tommy Hill set the pace in the wet opening free practice sessions at Knockhill and now feeling less pain from his injured shoulder is ready to challenge for race wins in the fifth round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship.
Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha YZF-R1 Superbike) says: “It’s been a day, a good start and we’ve had to make very few changes to the bike – I’m feeling comfortable and we are going in the right direction. My shoulder is OK, it is playing up a little, but if you want something and I want success in these races then you have to get on with the job. I am aware of the shoulder and its problems but I am not letting it bother me.
“You have to remember they said the healing time was six weeks, but that was six weeks of rest, not me training, testing and working, but I am not whingeing on about it. I keep telling myself you are up there at the top of the timesheets so that can’t be bad. I need good points and get back to winning races to score the all important podium credits.”
Taking the second fastest time Friday out of both FP sessions was the French teenager Loris Baz aboard the Motorpoint Yamaha. He just beat out the American John Hopkins on the Samsung Crescent Suzuki, with Hill’s teammate Michael Laverty fourth quickest.
Rounding out the top five on Friday was the series’ leader, HM Plant Honda’s Shane Bryne, who suffered a nasty highside at the last outing in Thruxton.
2011 Knockhill British Superbike: Friday Results
Free practice one:
1. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha Superbike) 53.327s
2. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha Superbike) +0.249s
3. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda Superbike) +0.417s
4. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki Superbike) +0.642s
5. James Westmoreland (Motorpoint Yamaha Superbike) +1.121s
6. Glen Richards (WFR Honda Superbike) +1.254s
Free practice two:
1. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 52.810s
2. Loris Baz (Motorpoint Yamaha) +0.310s
3. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +0.464s
4. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +0.584s
5. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +0.627s
6. Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki) +0.758s