The 250cc AMA Motocross Championship headed to High Point Raceway in Mt. Morris, Pa., Saturday evening.
Sweeping the Mtoocross round was Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett, of Grand Terrace, Calif. He was joined on the overall podium by his teammate Tyla Rattray and GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac.
After an impressive performance to open the 250 Motocross Class season with a win at Hangtown, Baggett showed even more dominance at High Point. The second-year rider completed the first lap of Moto 1 in ninth, and worked his way through the field for the remainder of the 30-minute race. On Lap 13, he took over the lead from Eleven 10 Mods Honda’s Darryn Durham, of Butler, Pa., and carried it through to the finish.
In Moto 2, Baggett capitalized on a good start to grab the top spot early. On Lap 6, he crashed, handing the lead to his teammate Tyla Rattray, of South Africa, and dropping to third.
Despite his Motocross misfortune, Baggett refused to settle, fighting his way back into the lead with just three laps remaining to finish the day with perfect 1-1 moto scores.
Blake Baggett (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX250F) says: "In the first moto I had my work cut out for me. I waited until halfway and put on a late charge. In the second moto, it was muddy, and I had a brain fade and just went down. After that, I just went for it. I didn’t know what Tyla (Rattray) had done in the first moto, so I just knew that a 1-1 would win. We actually had a battle there for a while, but I ended up getting around him. I’m looking forward to next weekend."
Rattray (3-2) followed in second, for his third straight 250 Motocross podium finish of the season, while GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac, of Cortez, Colo., finished third (6-3). By virtue of his finish, Rattray now moves into the 250 Class points lead, two points ahead of his teammate, Dean Wilson, of Scotland.
The Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship continues next weekend with Round 4 of the 2011 season. Budds Creek MX Park, in Mechanicsville, Md., will host the MotoTees Budds Creek National on Saturday, June 18, beginning at 1 p.m. EDT.
2011 AMA Motocross: High Point Raceway 250 Class (Moto Finish)
- Blake Baggett, Redlands, Calif., Kawasaki (1-1)
- Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (3-2)
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (6-3)
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki (2-8)
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki (10-4)
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda (8-7)
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda (11-5)
- Kyle Cunningham, Irving, Texas, Yamaha (5-11)
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Honda (4-14)
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda (13-6)
2011 AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings
- Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki – 127
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki – 125
- Blake Baggett, Redlands, Calif., Kawasaki – 116
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 104
- Kyle Cunningham, Irving, Texas, Yamaha – 90
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 79
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda – 68
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 67
- Gareth Swanepoel, South Africa, Yamaha – 61
- Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Suzuki – 53