Road America AMA XR1200: Harley Report
2011 AMA Pro Racing
Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing rider Chris Fillmore emerged victorious from a classic multi-rider drafting battle to earn his second season victory in the AMA Pro Racing Vance & Hines XR1200 Series race Sunday at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis. The top seven riders were separated by just 0.955 second at the end of the 7-lap race.
Several riders took turns at the head of the lead pack, including Danny Eslick (Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing), Michael Barnes (Drag Specialties), Steve Rapp (Parts Unlimited), and Fillmore. Other riders in the mix included Travis Wyman (Harv’s Harley-Davidson), Michael Beck (J&P Cycles), and Shawn Higbee (WFO Racing), with riders swapping the lead sometimes several times per lap as they drafted and outbraked each other on the 4-mile track’s three long straights. As the final lap approached, riders planned their strategies for the run up to the checkered flag out of Canada Corner, the penultimate corner of the 14-turn course.
Danny Eslick (Harley AMA XR1200) says: "The Harleys push a pretty big hole in the air, and if you’re the fourth or fifth guy in line you can get a pretty good head of steam. Generally somebody would pass me back going into Canada Corner, which is perfect. That’s what I was hoping for the last lap and it just didn’t work out.
Eslick, who eased up enough to allow Fillmore to pass but couldn’t make the gap back up in the run up to the finish line, continues: "The draft was a huge part of the race today, and Chris definitely outsmarted me on that one."
Chris Filmore (Harley AMA XR1200) says: "[Eslick] wanted to give me the position all the way just before coming up into Canada corner. He pretty much checked up and I got a good run.
"You really can’t make up much time there, so I figured I could make a little bit of a jump and cross my fingers and hoped that nobody got me at start/finish. And it worked. I think it was the only lap that nobody passed me on the front straight."
Third place finisher Travis Wyman, who hurried from the post-race podium ceremony to make the start of the Supersport race, went on to win that race for his first AMA Pro victory.
The AMA Pro Racing Vance & Hines XR1200 Series returns to action June 18-19 at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, AL.
Vance & Hines XR1200 Class Added as Support Race for Red Bull Indianapolis GP
Harley-Davidson V-Twin engines will roar around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this summer when the AMA Pro Vance & Hines XR1200 Series competes at the fourth annual Red Bull Indianapolis GP on Aug. 26-28. The XR1200 Series adds a fourth class of racing to the Red Bull Indianapolis GP weekend, as it joins the three World Championship classes – MotoGP, Moto2 and 125cc – competing on the 16-turn, 2.621-mile circuit that combines part of the famed IMS oval with an infield section.
"The sound of Harley-Davidson motorcycles resonates with riders across the globe, and we are excited about this opportunity to bring the thunder of XR1200 racing to a worldwide audience at one of the greatest racing venues in the world," said Steve Piehl, Harley-Davidson director of customer experience.
Road America AMA XR1200 Race Result:
1. Chris Fillmore (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing), 7 laps
2. Danny Eslick (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing), +0.127 second
3. Travis Wyman (Harv’s Harley-Davidson), +.258
4. Michael Barnes (Drag Specialties), +395
5. Steve Rapp (Parts Unlimited), +.463
6. Shawn Higbee (WFO Racing), +.692
7. Michael Beck (J&P Cycles), +.955
8. Tyler O’Hara (GPBikeParts.com), +3.209
9. Kyle Wyman (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing), +13.982
10. Michael Corbino (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer’s Daytona Racing), +29.389
11. Michael Morgan (Python Exhaust), +54.337
12. Paul James (James Gang/Hoban Brothers/H-D of Appleton), +57.276
13. Bryan Desimone (Kuryakyn), +1:33.102
14. Matthew Heidel (Shar-Tuff), +1:42.010
15. Gerry Signorelli (Kuryakyn), -2 laps, crash
16. Chase McFarland (Latus Motors Racing), -3 laps, crash
17. Nicholas Hansen, -4 laps, DNF
18. Josh Chisum (Troy Lee Designs), -5 laps, DNF
19. Sammy Halbert (HOG Racing), -6 laps, DNF
AMA XR1200 Series Points Standings
1. Chris Fillmore, 110
2. Steve Rapp, 87
3. Kyle Wyman, 63
4. Michael Barnes, 62
5. Michael Beck, 59
6. Danny Eslick, 50
7. Michael Corbino, 49
8. Chase McFarland, 48
9. Tyler O’Hara, 46
10. Joe Kopp, 45