Texas Supercross: GEICO Honda Report

Cowboys Stadium Supercross

Championship points leader Justin Barcia and his GEICO Honda teammate Blake Wharton both finished on the podium for the second race in a row Saturday night at Cowboys Stadium, with Barcia taking second and Wharton third in a repeat of last weekend’s race in Toronto.

With the runner-up result, his fifth of the season to go with two victories, Barcia successfully kept a hungry chase pack of riders at bay, with winner Dean Wilson now 13 points back in the standings.

Justin Barcia (GEICO Honda CRF250R) says: “This was probably the toughest race of the year,” said Barcia, who claimed the $1,000 holeshot award and led the most laps in the Main Event. “This track was tough. I struggled in the whoops all day and it cost me the win. Still, we got another second and that kept the streak going. Two rounds left — if we keep it on the (podium) box at both of those races we should be good.

“I could hear the crowd every time me and (Wilson) got close and it makes it exciting but you have to stay focused on the track and be on the lookout for anything crazy that might happen. I stayed healthy today and that’s good, because this track was hard-packed and slick and a lot of guys were going down.”

A GEICO Honda rider has now been on the podium at 11 straight races, and Wharton’s second climb onto the big stage drew a huge cheer from the 100-plus string cheering section from his hometown of Pilot Point, Texas. He remains fifth in the points.

Blake Wharton (GEICO Honda CRF250R) says: “My home race, for Texas, and it was important for me to do well here,” Wharton said. “I wanted to win, but I’m pretty happy with the way I rode and the pace I kept. The track was tough. Those whoops were gnarly; I’ve never seen whoops that big. But my fans from home with ‘Tracking 21’ lifted me up and I rode hard for them.”

In Supercross action, legend Kevin Windham rode to a strong fifth-place result on his 450cc machine. Team Honda rider Trey Canard, who also represents GEICO, won the main event.

Windham had to work harder than usual for his result as an accident in his qualifying heat relegated him to the Last Chance Qualifier, which he won wire-to-wire.

Kevin Windham (GEICO Honda CRF450R) says: “Getting better. This was a stressful race for me. I was off to a great ride in the heat but the whoops here were so big that once you commit to riding over the tops there’s no pulling back. I was behind (Mike) Alessi and his front wheel went down and I just rode right into the back of him. It bent up everything on the front of my bike and I have to commend the GEICO crew for getting everything fixed in time for the LCQ.

“We had the outside gate in the Main and I feel like I got the holeshot coming through there in seventh or eighth. After that I just settled in and rode right up there with all the guys fighting for the championship so I’m pretty pleased. We’ll get after it again next weekend and try to win another one for GEICO.”

The tour now heads to St. Louis for next Saturday’s event.