The penultimate round of the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series commences this weekend with a return to Rockford, Ill., and the legendary MetroCentre.
Two nights of action will highlight the festivities and after suffering his worst outing of the season and watching his eight-race winning streak come to an end, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers is determined to return to the top step of the podium and reassert his control of the championship.
Last weekend in Little Rock, Team Faith Yamaha’s Kelly Smith broke through for his first AMA Arenacross Series victory since 2008. Behind him, Bowers suffered from misfortune and finished outside of the top 10 as his closest championship rivals, TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson and Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki’s Chad Johnson, both left Arkansas with top five finishes.
With three races remaining, Bowers’ advantage over the field sits at 38 points but the addition of Smith as the fifth different winner in 2011 has increased the parity in the class.
The rest of the riders in search of a victory this season are eager for their shot to stand atop the podium, including past winners Zach Ames, Gray Davenport, Nathan Skaggs and Kevin Johnson.
Jayme Dalsing (AMA Arenacross Series Director) says: “The final two weekends of this championship are going to be extremely exciting. Tyler’s trouble in Little Rock opened the door for other riders to grab the spotlight and I think that with the season coming to a close, we could see more of that intensity.”
In the midst of one of the most historic seasons in history, the on-track action throughout the year has been exceptional. With Bowers leading the way, the AMA Arenacross Series has reached new heights in talent and the depth of the entire field is arguably the most competitive its ever been.
With a return to the MetroCentre this weekend, fans throughout the Great Lakes region will have the opportunity to witness the high level of competition in person for a unique experience that only the AMA Arenacross Series can provide.
Additionally, the Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship will continue in Rockford. Currently, Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Patrick Massie has his first professional title within reach. With a win to his credit already, Massie will look to close out his title run by adding to that total.
Joining him and the rest of the field in a guest Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites class appearance is female competitor Vicki Golden. The groundbreaking rider has grown consistently during her time in the series and will look for the first-ever top-10 finish by a female on Friday and Saturday night.
Her success has garnered the attention of the entire industry and thanks to her obvious talent, Golden will receive support from TUF Honda this weekend.
The action this weekend kicks off on Friday, April 1 at 7 p.m. CT and is followed by a second evening of bar-banging excitement on Saturday, April 2, also at 7 p.m. CT.
Advance tickets are available for the Rockford Arenacross at the MetroCentre Box Office, online at MetroCentre.com and by phone at 815-968-5222. Tickets cost $2 more the day of the race.
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 16 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 362
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 324
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 318
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 255
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 236
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 232
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 229
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 192
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 181
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda – 165
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 8 of 10)
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 147
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda – 96
- Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki – 95
- Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 86
- Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM – 70
- Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki – 69
- Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda – 65
- Kyle Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki – 63
- Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda – 49
- Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda – 47
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto Arenacross.com.