2011 Motorcycle ‘Ride to Work Day’ Info
This year, the 20th annual Motorcycle and Scooter Ride to Work Day is Monday, June 20. Over a million commuters will participate and demonstrate the positive benefits of riding for transportation, which include: reduced traffic and parking congestion, decreased commute times, and lessened fuel consumption.
Many City administrations support this popular event by proclamation, and some also do so by providing motorcycle and scooter parking at municipal ramps and metered spaces at no charge during this day.
Your city can join with hundreds of others, and motorcycle and scooter groups, and other organizations already supporting Ride to Work Day.
Reasons to encourage motorcycle and scooter commuting include:
- Motorcycles and scooters share parking spaces, providing more parking for everyone else.
- Motorcycles and scooters consume fewer resources than most other mobility options.
- Motorcycles and scooters reduce traffic congestion and save travel time.
Riders seek both government and employer support for these benefits. Proclamations of support, and providing motorcycle and scooter parking at no charge on Ride to Work Day, are great ways to encourage a beneficial (and enjoyable) form of transportation
- Here is a template for a letter to city Mayors, requesting an official proclamation of support for Ride to Work Day.
- Here is a template for a support proclamation that any city can use to support riding.
- Here is a list of all 2006 – 2009 supporting cities, and .pdf files of each city’s proclamation.
- If your city officially supports Ride to Work Day by proclamation, contact local media, and also send us a copy of the Proclamation so we can post it on our website: email@example.com.