2011 Japan Earthquake
For the second consecutive year, the Japanese Grand Prix has been rescheduled due to Mother Nature.
The FIM reports this year’s Japan MotoGP at Twin Ring Motegi, which was originally scheduled for April 24, has been postponed to Oct. 2 due to the 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami that devastated the country late last week.
The 2011 Japanese Grand Prix will now occur between the Aragon (Spain) and Australian MotoGP races.
Japan is continuing its relief efforts, attempting to recover from Friday’s 9.0 magnitude earthquake, which subsequently caused a tsunami in the Northeastern region of the country. As of Tuesday, the death toll is more than 10,000, and now there is fear of a nuclear power-plant meltdown.
Last year’s Japanese Grand Prix was postponed due to the country being under an ash cloud from the Icelandic volcano eruption. The race, which was also rescheduled to October, was won by Casey Stoner, then a Ducati Team rider.
The 2011 MotoGP Championship begins this weekend at Losail International Circuit, Qatar.
Updated 2011 MotoGP Calendar
- March 20 Qatar* (Losail)
- April 3 Spain (Jerez)
- May 1 Portugal (Estoril)
- May 15 France (Le Mans)
- June 5 Catalunya (Catalunya)
- June 12 Great Britain (Silverstone)
- June 25 Netherlands** (Assen)
- July 3 Italy (Mugello)
- July 17 Germany (Sachsenring)
- July 24 United States*** (Laguna Seca)
- August 14 Czech Republic (Brno)
- August 28 Indianapolis (Indianapolis)
- September 4 San Marino & Riviera di Rimini (Misano)
- September 18 Aragón (MotorLand)
- October 2 Japan (Motegi)
- October 16 Australia (Phillip Island)
- October 23 Malaysia (Sepang)
- November 6 Valencia (Ricardo Tormo – Valencia)
* Evening Race
** Saturday Race
*** Only MotoGP class
MotoGP images from 2010 Japanese GP