LA: Dodger Stadium Supercross Results
Los Angeles Supercross
Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto (Kawasaki KX 450 F), of Poulsbo, Wash., scored his second win of the season tonight at the inaugural Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, at Dodger Stadium in front of 41,107 motorcycle racing fans.
Troy Lee Designs Lucas Oil Honda’s Cole Seeley (Honda CRF 250 R), of Corona, Calif., won the first Western Regional Supercross Lites class race of his career, leading wire-to-wire.
Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Brett Metcalfe (Suzuki RM-Z 450), of Lake Elsinore, Calif., started the Supercross class main event by winning the holeshot with his teammate and defending Supercross class champion Ryan Dungey (Suzuki RM-Z 450), of Belle Plaine, Minn., in tow.
TwoTwo Motorsports’ Chad Reed (Honda CRF 450 R), of Tampa, Fla., suffered a crash on Lap 1 and started last. By the end of lap one, San Manuel Yamaha’s James Stewart (Yamaha YZ 450 F), of Haines City, Fla., moved into third place.
While leading, Metcalfe crashed, handing the lead to Dungey before Stewart moved around him on Lap 4. American Honda’s Trey Canard (Honda CRF 450 R), of Shawnee, Okla., worked his way into third place and two laps later passed Dungey for second.
On Lap 11 Stewart crashed, giving the lead to Villopoto and allowing Dungey to secure second. Despite the crash, Stewart only lost a few positions and moved into second place on Lap 16 where he would finish. Dungey finished third.
Ryan Villopoto (2011 Kawasaki KX 450 F) says: "It was really slippery out there tonight," comments RV2. "The start of my race didn’t go as planned, but I was able to make up some time early on and things went my way."
Seeley opened the Western Regional Supercross Lites class main event with the holeshot. Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Josh Hansen (Kawasaki KX 250 F), of Elbert, Colo., who won the first two races of the season, quickly moved into second place. Near the halfway point of lap one, Hansen stalled his bike and reentered the race in last place.
Red Bull/KTM’s Ken Roczen (KTM 250), of Germany, and GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac (Honda CRF 250 R), of Cortez, Colo., battled for second before Roczen crashed, taking out several riders, including Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Martin Davalos (Suzuki RM-Z 250), of Cairo, Ga., who won his heat race earlier in the night.
On Lap 13 and 14, Tomac and Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Broc Tickle (Kawasaki KX 250 F), of Holly, Mich., traded places, giving the runner-up spot to Tomac. Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Ryan Morais (Suzuki RM-Z 250), of Murrieta, Calif., moved into third place, passing Tickle on Lap 14. Tomac finished second and Morais finished third.
Cole Seeley (2011 Honda CRF 250 R) says: "This week I worked hard on starts and it paid off tonight," comments the SX Lites winner. "That makes a big difference in the way the race unfolds when you are out front. This is the first win of my career and it feels great."
2011 Supercross Class Results: Los Angeles
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
5. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha
6. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
7. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
2011 Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 72
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 67
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 58
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 56
5. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 48
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 39
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 37
8. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 36
9. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha – 33
10. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda – 32
Supercross Lites Class Western Regional Results: Los Angeles
1. Cole Seeley, Corona, Calif., Honda
2. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
3. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
4. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
5. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
6. Ken Roczen, Mattstedt, Germany, KTM
7. Ryan Marmont, Woonona, Australia,
8. Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
9. Nick Pauluzzi, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha
10. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha
Supercross Lites Class Western Regional Season Standings
1. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 66
2. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 62
3. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda – 59
4. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki – 55
5. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 49
6. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 42
7. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki – 40
8. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda – 35
9. Ken Roczen, Mattstedt, Germany, KTM – 31
10. Nick Pauluzzi, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha – 30
The Dodger Stadium Supercross class race will air on CBS Sports TV Sunday at Noon and the Supercross Lites class race will also air Sunday on SPEED TV at 6:00 p.m. EST. The 2011 Monster Energy AMA Supercross season continues next weekend in Oakland, Calif., at the Oak-Alameda Stadium.