2011 Harley-Davidson Blackline | Preview
2011 FXS Blackline Softail
Announced at the New York International Motorcycle Show, the new stripped-to-the-bone 2011 Harley-Davidson Blackline motorcycle is the latest in the Harley Softail model family.
As the next edition to the growing and ever-popular Dark Custom motorcycle line, the Blackline celebrates three fundamental elements of Harley-Davidson motorcycling: mechanical beauty, internal combustion, and the V-twin thirst to ride the black-line (road) ahead.
The 2011 Harley Blackline motorcycle balances allegiance with rebellion, discarding previous conventions of color and chrome for a Dark Custom look that’s straight-forward, functional and attainable.
Visual elements of the original bobber motorcycle movement are combined with the raw, hand-shewn style embraced by today’s young custom bike builders. Harley hopes that the new Blackline is fuel on a fire that burns across generations that will create an unquenchable desire to ride motorcycles.
The Blackline rear fender is bobbed high-and-tight over a slim, 144mm tire that emphasizes an authentic hardtail profile. The compact headlight and speedometer are tucked low into the wide, FX front end, and there’s just enough shine to make the black parts look blacker. Black-rimmed laced wheels complete a look that’s tough, tempered and undeniably Harley-Davidson.
The Blackline styling spotlight shines on a Harley-Davidson Big Twin engine dressed in black and silver, and on a fuel tank shaved smooth and low.
Aboard the Blackline, the motorcycle rider hugs the frame on the lowest two-up seat ever offered by Harley-Davidson, and reaches high for new Split Drag handlebars that bolt right to the top triple-clamp.
The Softail chassis utilizes rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally along the frame rails below the powertrain, where they are out of sight.
So while the swingarm section replicates the lines of a vintage hardtail frame, the Blackline delivers suspension performance and handling that are thoroughly modern.
The internally counter-balanced Twin Cam 96B (balance) engine is rigid-mounted within the frame, creating a solid connection between rider and the power that moves the motorcycle to enhance the emotional experience of riding.
2011 Harley-Davidson FXS Blackline Softail | Features
- NEW Powertrain styling
- Powertrain is finished in gloss black powdercoat on the rocker box covers, the crankcase, the outer primary cover, and the transmission side cover. The cylinders are silver powdercoat with machined highlights. The derby cover and timing covers are chromed.
- Rigid-mounted, counter-balanced Twin Cam 96B V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 89 ft. lbs. peak torque at 3250 rpm.
- 6-Speed Cruise Drive Transmission.
- NEW Round air cleaner cover in brilliant chrome.
- NEW Black Denim powdercoat frame and swingarm.
- NEW Profile Laced Aluminum wheels with black anodized rims. Front wheel is 21 x 2.15 inches; rear wheel is 16 x 3 inches. Dunlop D402 tires are MH90-21 front and MU85B16 rear.
- NEW FX front end with black powdercoat triple clamps and black painted fork lowers.
- NEW Split Drag internally-wired handlebars mount directly to the top triple clamp.
- NEW Asymmetric five-gallon Softail fuel tank is clean on the left side, with a low-profile fuel fill on the right. Die cast "Blackline" trim panel flowing down the center of the tank is just high enough to cover the fuel pump hardware.
- NEW Analog speedometer on a triple-clamp mount that also holds indicator lights. LCD screen on the speedometer includes low-fuel warning and "miles to empty" display function.
- NEW Bobbed rear fender with combination stop/tail/turn lights in black housings, and a new composite license plate holder and light module that mounts on the lower edge of the fender.
- NEW Raw forged rear fender supports are finished in Black Denim powdercoat.
- NEW One-piece, two-up seat and passenger pillion. Laden rider seat height is 24 inches, the lowest two-up seat offered by Harley-Davidson. Gap between the nose of seat and fuel tank exposes the top of the frame.
- NEW 5.75-inch diameter headlamp in gloss black shell.
- Polished forward foot controls.
- Over/under chrome shotgun exhaust.
- Optional Security Package with Anti-lock Braking System and Smart Security System
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s Web site at www.harley-davidson.com.