Ryan Villopoto, on his Kawasaki KX450F, finished on the AMA / FIM Supercross podium once again and leaves the second round haning-on to a two-point lead in the 2011 SX championship standings.
Villopoto’s strong start at the first round seemed to carry over into the second round as the Washington native posted fast laps all day on his Kawasaki KX450F. His night started with a heat race win and RV2 looked to carry that into the SX main event.
After getting a fourth-place start, Villopoto quickly moved into second and was riding strong just behind the leader, James Stewart on his Yamaha YZ450F, but a small motorcycle crash over halfway through the race forced him to settle for the runner-up position on the SX podium.
Even though Ryan Villopoto had much to celebrate after the first 2011 AMA Supercross race in Anaheim, celebration took a back seat as Villopoto worked through a cold.
His race program through the week stayed the same and it showed in Phoenix. Despite feeling a little under the weather, RV2 rode with more confidence throughout the entire event.
With only two motorcycle races completed and 15 more races to come, Villopoto is already making positive strides toward becoming a regular to the podium.
For the third round of the circuit, the riders are traveling to a brand new venue at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.
AMA Supercross Results – Chase Field – Phoenix, Ariz – Jan. 15, 2011
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
2. Ryan Villopoto, Pouslbo, Wash., Kawasaki,
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
4. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
AMA Supercross Point Standings – After Round 2
1. Ryan Villopoto, Pouslbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 47
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 45
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 38
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 38
5. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda, 34