Phoenix Supercross: Round 2 Wrap Up
AMA Supercross Video
When the flag dropped at Phoenix in the AMA Supercross Lites class, all eyes were on Monster Energy Kawasaki rider Josh Hansen. The Elbert, Colo., rider already took the most points after his victory at the season-opener in Anaheim for Round 1, and he continued his dominance at Chase Field Saturday night.
Hansen was joined on the podium by hole-shot winner Broc Tickle of Holly, Mich. (Kawasaki), and Ryan Morais of Murrieta, Calif. (Suzuki).
Josh Hansen (Kawasaki KX250F) says: "I’m really stoked," exclaims the son of MX racer Donnie Hansen. "I didn’t get the start I needed to, but I tried my best to be patient and it worked out for me. I want to thank everyone on my team for helping me out and giving me a good bike and all these fans (in Phoenix) for coming out tonight."
After the Supercross Lites class concluded, the 450cc-premier class was out in the dirt. And the winner…James Stewart on the San Manuel Yamaha YZ450F.
After sustaining an injury at Phoenix last year that destroyed his 2010 Supercross season, the two-time Supercross champ returned at Round 2 in 2011 to take his first victory of 2011. He was follwed to the line Anaheim 1’s winner Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki) and Trey Canard (Geico Honda), respectively.
James Stewart (Yamaha YZ 450 F) says: "I really wanted to pull that holeshot," explains the Supercross and AMA Pro Motocross star.
"This track was tough tonight but I haven’t won in over a year so I really wanted this one. I was even a little nervous out there but I want to thank everyone on my team for giving such an awesome bike. This feels great."
This YouTube video highlights the Phoenix Supercross round, with Jim Holley and Broc Glover of Dunlop Tires commentary.
2011 Supercross Class Results: Round 2, Phoenix
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
4. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
6. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
10. Kyle Regal, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
2011 Supercross Lites Class Western Regional Results: Round 2, Phoenix
1. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
2. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
3. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
4. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda
5. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
6. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki
7. Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
8. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
10. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha