2011 Dakar Rally Video
On the last day in the Atacama Desert in the 2011 Dakar Rally, Jonah Street took the Stage 9 victory aboard a Yamaha.
Street was followed to the line Tuesday 3:38 seconds later by Frans Verhoeven (Belgium) on a BMW, and David Casteu (France) Sherco, who trailed by 3:40. The KTM rider in the overall Dakar lead, Marc Coma, and the man following him, Cyril Despres, also on a KTM, were surprisingly not in the top five at Stage 9.
And although Despres didn’t have a productive day in regards to gaining time on Coma, the two still hold a major lead over the rest of the motorcycle field with four Dakar stages remaining. In third is Chilean rider Francisco "Chaleco" Lopez, who trails Coma by 23:33.
Lopez’s Aprilia is the closest to the KTM riders; the man in fourth place, Helder Rodrigues (Yamaha), is just over an hour behind Coma.
For Stage 10 on Wednesday, the riders will travel from Copiapo to Chilecito, 686 km of road, and a short special of 176 km through the Andes and hot white dunes of Fiambala back in Argentina.
2011 Dakar Rally Stage 9 Results
1. Jonah Street, USA, Yamaha, 03:06.56
2. Frans Verhoeven, Belgium, BMW, at 3:38
3.David Casteu, France, Sherco, 3:40
4. Guell Farres, Spain, Aprilia, 4:30
5. Jordi Viladoms, Spain, Yamaha, 5:46
7. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM, 6:03
9. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM 7:08
2011 Dakar Rally Standings after Stage 9
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM
2. Cyril Despres Andorra, KTM, at 8:14
3. Chaleco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, 23:33
4. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, 1:01.51
5. Rubin Faria, Portugal, KTM 1:21:20