At the end of Stage 7 of the 2011 Dakar Rally, Chaleco Lopez on his Aprilia motorcycle received a hero’s welcome on arriving victorious at the bivouac in Antofagasta 2’21 ahead of Cyril Despres on his Red Bull KTM with Marc Coma, also KTM, third at 3’45.
Helder Rodrigues on the Yamaha YZ450F was 4th at 9’14 with Cyril’s teammate Ruben Faria and his KTM 5th at 10’44. Overall Cyril once again pulls back time on Coma and this evening is just 7’24 behind the Spaniard with Lopez also creeping closer at 18’27.
Cyril Despres (Red Bull KTM) says: :Another special that was great fun to ride. I caught Helder at about kilometer 90 and got stuck in his dust until we got to the erg at kilometre 148.
"Then, after the refueling CP, we took a different route to the quads and cars and went through a series of valleys on little goat tracks.
"There were some really steep climbs and descents – it was like the Ezberg Rodeo in places – and I couldn’t help wondering how Cali (Christian Califano) was going to manage. All in all a superb day’s riding and the result wasn’t too bad either."
2011 Dakar Stage 7 Results
- Francisco (Chaleco) Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, 3:29.45
- Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM, at 2:21
- Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, at 3:45
- Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, at 9:14
- Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM, 10:44
- Stefan Svitko, Slovakia, KTM, at 11:19
- Pal Anders Ullevalseter, Norway, KTM, 14:03
- Juan Pedrero, Spain, KTM at 18:05