FIM Freestyle Motocross
The second installment of LR NIGHT of the JUMPs was just as full of excitement and high drama as the first at Ostrava for FIM Freestyle Motocross.
In an even more thrilling final FMX than on Saturday, local hero Libor Podmol claimed his second overall win in Ostrava. Once again, he managed to surpass Remi Bizouard and main FMX title rival Brice Izzo, both of whom were also on top form.
Liemann was unable to compete at all following his fall on Saturday, so only twelve riders took part in the qualifying round.
Most improved contestant was Josh Sheehan, who laid on an impressive sequence of tricks to go through to the final in only his second FMX NIGHT of the JUMPs.
Alastair Sayer also ratcheted up the complexity of his FMX tricks to book a place in the final. The two of them were joined by Jose Miralles, Brice Izzo, Remi Bizouard and Libor Podmol.
This time, racer Nemeth Kornell stamped his authority in the FMX Race & Style contest. The crowd were ecstatic when Alastair Sayer broke the 11-meter barrier to set a new world record in the Highest Air contest. This surpassed Tommy Clowers' 10.7m FMX jump in the 2000 X-Games by a wide margin.
The man from Botswana was evidently overcome by the momentous nature of his achievement, because he then went on to register two deadsailors that dropped him down to sixth place in the FMX event.
Jose Miralles who had led the pack going into the Ostrava Grand Prix was unfortunately unable to raise his game and had to settle for fifth, which also meant that he lost further ground in the championship, slipping back to third place.
Josh Sheehan only narrowly missed out on a podium finish in Ostrava. He pulled off an underflip, a Cordova Flip and Tsunami Flip, but Brice Izzo's Underflip Indy and Stripper Flip narrowly sufficed to snatch third place on the FMX night.
Meanwhile, the battle for the top podium spot in the tenth round of the FIM Freestyle MX World Championships was a close-fought encounter between Remi Bizouard and Libor Podmol.
The Frenchman rejigged his FMX program to bring in the Rulerflip before the double-up jump which he reserved for a Superman Seatgrab Flip.
On an "average" FMX night, that would normally have been good enough to secure the win. But with the crowd roaring him on, Libor Podmol executed an Underflip Indy, a Superman Seatgrab Flip Indy and various other tricks to take him to the top of the leaderboard.
The Czech FMX rider was thus able to consolidate his championship lead which he has built up to a clear six points on Brice Izzo and an even more comfortable 10-point gap on Jose Miralles. Scott Murray almost rounded off what was in any case a sensational weekend with a second double backflip.
However, the American over-rotated ever so slightly and just missed out on a copybook landing. Thankfully, he was OK apart from a few grazes.
The next two FMX events in the series (Rounds 11 and 12) of the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship are scheduled for next Friday and Saturday at the NIGHT of the JUMPs in Vienna.
FACTS LR NIGHT of the JUMPs - FIM Freestyle MX World Championship Resuilts:
Ostrava, 21st November 2010 - Round 10
1. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 419 Points
2. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 415 Points
3. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 399 Points
4. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 392 Points
5. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 385 Points
6. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 235 Points
1. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 364 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 362 Points
3. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 361 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 353 Points
5. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 344 Points
6. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 338 Points
7. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 329 Points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 328 Points
9. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 320 Points
10. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 307 Points
11. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 301 Points
12. Tomas Lysacek CZE ACCR Yamaha 197 Points
Ostrava FMX Results: Race & Style
1. Kornel Nemeth HUN KTM
2. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM
Ostrava FMX Highest-Air
1. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 11,00 Meter
2. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 9,00 Meter
2. Kornel Nemeth HUN KTM 9,00 Meter
2. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 9,00 Meter
FIM FMX World Championship Ranking (after 10th contest):
1. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 164 Points
2. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 158 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 154 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 104 Points
5. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 104 Points
6. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL DMSB KTM 89 Points
7. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 83 Points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 80 Points
9. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 61 Points
10. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 61 Points
11. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 59 Points
12. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 45 Points
13. Rob Adelberg AUS MA Yamaha 34 Points
14. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 20 Points
15. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 20 Points
16. Marcelo Simoes BRA CBM Yamaha 10 Points
17. Tomas Lysacek CZE ACCR Yamaha 8 Points
18. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 8 Points
19. Aleksey Koleshnikov RUS KTM MFR 4 Points
20. Freddy Peters GER DMSB Yamaha 3 Points
21. Ales Liemann CZE ACCR Suzuki 3 Points