Fiat Yamaha’s Jorge Lorenzo continued his strong form during the first hour-long free practice session at Brno, Round 10 of the MotoGP Championship, setting the fastest time by more than half a second.
Having assessed both front and rear tire compound options during the session, his best time came on the harder variants.
Dani Pedrosa and Valentino Rossi finished second and third fastest, but both set their best times using the softer rear slick.
The session was brought to a temporary halt when light rain started to fall in the last fifteen minutes of the scheduled hour. Many riders were using the practice to compare the performance of Bridgestone’s harder and softer option slick tires and this halt interrupted their respective programs.
As the shower ceased, Hector Barbera, Valentino Rossi, Nicky Hayden and Loris Capirossi ventured back out in the closing minutes of the session and the track remained dry enough for them all to continue using slick tires.
The weather forecast over the next two days is mixed, suggesting a damp track tomorrow morning for the second free practice after overnight rain, followed by a fine qualifying session but a return to rain for Sunday’s race.
Tohru Ubukata (Manager, Bridgestone Motorcycle Tire Development Department) says: “This session was cut short by the rain shower so many riders will have to continue their tire compound comparisons tomorrow, mainly with regards rear tire choice. Front tire choice will be easier as all today favored the harder front, but we saw amongst the top three that both the harder and the softer rear provide a similar level of performance.”
“The conditions cooled towards the end of the session because of the shower, but the times are still half a second off last year’s record, set by Jorge on our tyres, so there is more to come this weekend if the weather remains good. This is uncertain however, so we are prepared with our soft compound wets.”
Bridgestone slick compounds available:
Front: Hard, Extra Hard.
Rear: Medium, Hard
MotoGP Brno Friday Free Practice 1 Times:
1. (99) Jorge LORENZO, SPA, Fiat Yamaha, 1’57.215
2. (26) Dani PEDROSA, SPA, Repsol Honda 1’57.756
3. (46) Valentino ROSSI, ITA, Fiat Yamaha 1’57.821
4. (4) Andrea DOVIZIOSO, ITA, Repsol Honda 1’57.873
5. (69) Nicky HAYDEN, USA, Ducati Team 1’58.286
6. (5) Colin EDWARDS, USA, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’58.497
7. (27) Casey STONER, AUS, Ducati Team 1’58.532
8. (58) Marco SIMONCELLI, ITA, San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’58.840
9. (11) Ben SPIES, USA, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’58.970
10. (19) Alvaro BAUTISTA, SPA, Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1’59.204
11. (65) Loris CAPIROSSI, ITA, Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1’59.216
12. (41) Aleix ESPARGARO, SPA, Pramac Racing Team Ducati 1’59.254
13. (36) Mika KALLIO, FIN, Pramac Racing Team Ducati 1’59.289
14. (33) Marco MELANDRI, ITA, San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’59.510
15. (40) Hector BARBERA, SPA, Paginas Amarillas Aspar Ducati 1’59.910
16. (14) Randy DE PUNIET, FRA, LCR Honda MotoGP 2’00.184
17. (15) Alex DE ANGELIS, RSM Interwetten Honda MotoGP 2’01.098