Laguna Seca MotoGP Wildcard Takes 11th
On a near perfect summer’s day LCR Honda MotoGP Team American racer Roger Lee Hayden gained a thrilling 11th place riding the Honda RC212V in today’s U.S. Grand Prix at Laguna Seca.
The youngest of the three racing Haydens, who’s currently racing a Kawasaki in World Superbike, improved his lap time by 1.668s over the course of practice and yesterdays qualifying.
The two areas he found most challenging were the carbon front brakes-he uses metal in World Superbike-and the control Bridgestone tyres, which he was careful to get up to proper operating temperature.
The 27-year-old started from the 17th spot on the grid and put in a maximum effort over the 32-lap race scoring 5 points finishing his second MotoGP race behind Capirossi.
Roger Lee Hayden (Wildcard – 11th) says: “This was a very good race for me! After the start I got boxed in at the first corner and after that it took me a few laps to find my pace. The rest of the guys had taken a few seconds on me but I started to pull them back in and I did my fastest lap of the whole week end in doing so. I charged hard and caught De Angelis with 2 laps to go I passed him and took 11th place.”
“At the start of the week I really did not think I could have taken 11th place. I really really want to thank LCR Team for this fantastic opportunity. Everybody in the Team has bent over backwards to help me in every way. The guys worked really hard on the bike and made it very comfortable for me to ride.”
“They put absolutely no pressure on me this week end for a result but this is the American GP and all my friends, family and fans are here so I wanted to give them all a good result. I would love a chance to ride for this Team again as they are a fantastic bunch of guys and the machine they gave me was perfect”.
Lucio Cecchinello says: “First I want to wish Randy a very quick recovery and want to thank the Team for their great work this week end. Despite the bad luck we have decided to come here and do our best as always. We are pleased with Roger’s today result because he improved his feeling on the bike session by session and during the race he was focused and tough especially when he passed De Angelis at 2 laps to go. Now we aim to have Randy back in Brno but we must wait for the response of the Medical Commission first”.
2010 MotoGP Laguna Seca Results
1. 99 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 32 43′54.873
2. 27 Casey Stoner Ducati 32 43′58.390 3.517
3. 46 Valentino Rossi Yamaha 32 44′08.293 13.420
4. 4 Andrea Dovizioso Honda 32 44′09.061 14.188
5. 69 Nicky Hayden Ducati 32 44′09.474 14.601
6. 11 Ben Spies Yamaha 32 44′13.910 19.037
7. 5 Colin Edwards Yamaha 32 44′35.594 40.721
8. 33 Marco Melandri Honda 32 44′42.092 47.219
9. 36 Mika Kallio Ducati 32 44′47.686 52.813
10. 65 Loris Capirossi Suzuki 32 44′47.687 52.814
11. 95 Roger Lee Hayden Honda 32 45′08.962 1′14.089
12. 15 Alex de Angelis Honda 32 45′09.539 1′14.666
13. 41 Aleix Espargaró Ducati 28 39′12.758 Retirement
14. 58 Marco Simoncelli Honda 18 25′05.284 Retirement
15. 26 Daniel Pedrosa Honda 11 15′07.225 Retirement
16. 40 Héctor Barberá Ducati 3 4′24.713 Retirement
17. 19 Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 2 2′58.025 Retirement