2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra | Preview
Road Glide Ultra Preview
The new Harley-Davidson Road Glide Ultra combines the light handling and wind-splitting aerodynamics of a frame-mounted fairing with a full complement of touring appointments designed to transport the devoted long-distance rider and passenger over the horizon and beyond.
The shark-nose, dual-headlamp fairing gives the Road Gide Ultra a distinctive profile as it rolls down the road. Its smooth shape and full-size, clear windshield offer excellent protection from wind and weather. Gauges are presented in a cockpit array, and the fairing incorporates two storage compartments with spring-return lids.
Key Road Glide Ultra Features:
• PowerPak is standard equipment, and combines the Twin Cam 103 engine with ABS and the H-D Smart Security System. The fuel-injected, 1690cc Twin Cam 103 is rated at 102 ft. lbs. of torque at 3500 rpm, a 9.6-percent increase in peak torque over the Twin Cam 96 engine, extra power for enhanced passing and hill-climbing performance when a passenger and luggage are on board.
• Harley-Davidson ABS works in conjunction with high-performance Brembo brakes to help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. The H-D Smart Security System offers automatic self-arming and disarming through the Hands Free Fob, which communicates directly with the security module on an individualized frequency.
• An aerodynamic, frame-mounted fairing offers a lighter steering feel than a fork-mounted fairing, and incorporates dual headlamps and a cockpit-style instrument display.
• The one-piece seat is shaped to improve rider leg reach to the ground, and to provide better lower back support. A key element of the new seat design is a narrower forward section of the seat, which makes it easier for more riders to place both feet confidently on the ground.
• A King Tour-Pak luggage carrier and hard saddle bags offer generous storage capacity and feature soft luggage liners. The Tour-Pak features side marker lights and an integrated passenger backrest.
• Vented fairing lowers offer additional wind and weather protection, and can be adjusted for rider comfort in hot conditions.
• The four-speaker, 80-watt Harman/Kardon® Advanced Audio system features CD/MP3 player and CB/intercom with two headsets.
• Electronic cruise control is standard equipment.
Engineered to Go the Distance
The Harley-Davidson Touring chassis provides precise and responsive maneuverability, robust capacity and outstanding comfort for both rider and passenger. Its features include:
• A single-spar, rigid backbone frame designed to satisfy the demands of long-haul touring riders and more-powerful engines. The frame is manufactured with the latest coordinated motion robotic welding process, which offers outstanding dimensional accuracy and weld quality. Components are joined with cast and forged node-tube joints.
• The swingarm is formed with a two-piece, deep-drawn shell with a forged pivot section, and contributes significantly to the motorcycle’s maneuverability and comfort.
• Dunlop D407 Multi-Tread rear tires are designed specifically for the Harley-Davidson Touring chassis. The construction of the tires and the distribution of a longer-life center tread compound and more-aggressive shoulder compound enhance straight-line performance and will deliver up to 25 percent more rear-tire tread life than a standard tire.
• The Isolated Drive System compensator integrated into the rear wheel hub reduces noise and vibration to the rider for improved ride quality under acceleration, shifting and cruising.
• The Twin Cam 103 V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) is mated to the 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission for outstanding performance and economy. Air-adjustable rear shocks accommodate variable passenger and luggage loads.